1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Extremely pleased to finally announce my jazz bass method book: The Low Down

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by dkziemann, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkziemann

dkziemann

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    I’m excited to finally share with you one of my proudest life accomplishments to date—the completion of my jazz bass method book, The Low Down, published through the Institute for Creative Music. My goal, after being frustrated by many of the jazz education books available, was to write a book teaching bassists how to adopt a supportive mindset beginning with the art of walking. This book represents the approach I actively use and teach to my students. There is also an audio supplement to accompany many of the written examples, along with access to my blog of jazz bass line transcriptions, on my new website: www.DannyZiemann.com

This book has garnered the praise and support of Rufus Reid,John Clayton, Kristin Korb, Nicholas Walker, Larry Grenadier, and Jeff Campbell. Larry Grenadier also wrote the foreword, giving special insight to this book after spending some time studying with him. Here are a few of the quotes:

“…Danny breaks down the essential elements that make for a great bass player. With extreme clarity The Low Down articulates a progressive approach to bass line construction… Danny has struck the balance between musical thought and feeling, and by doing so has made an extremely valuable contribution to bass instruction.”
    (Larry Grenadier)

“...The Low Down is a well thought out and sequenced method to illustrate the myriad of options that we bassists have to become a more musical, swinging, and articulate bassist. The information is clearly stated. Now bassists, it's your time to go to work! Congratulations Mr. Ziemann.” (Rufus Reid)

I cannot begin to tell you excited I am. I truly believe it is a resource that can help all levels of aspiring jazz bassists. It is available for preorder through www.dannyziemann.storenvy.com for the price of $20. This is the book that will be presented at the 2015 ISB Convention, after I compete in the Jazz Bass Competition.

(If advertising is frowned upon here, apologies!)

mtto and jimmyb like this.
  2. dkziemann

dkziemann

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    By the way, if anyone has any questions about it, wants to see more reviews, etc... please feel free to chime in! I really believe this can be a strong addition to the literature that is currently available—my background is equally in education and I tried to take a different approach to creating this book. Thank you!

3. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

Sep 11, 2012
    GTA, Ontario
    Do you have a preview of your book? Table of contents, example pages, etc...

4. dkziemann

dkziemann

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    Hi there! No official preview yet, but the table of contents is as follows:

The Warm-Up,
    Developing a Layout of Your Instrument,
    Fundamental Bass Line Construction,
    Rhythm Changes,
    Modal Tunes,
    Advanced Line Construction,
    The Two Feel,
    Adding Rhythmic Material to Your Lines.

I posted this elsewhere, but:

I was frustrated by a lack of information explaining how to do something. Most books explain what to do without any context, and certainly not an explanation of how to create something similar on your own. What are the rules? How can you know to break them? How do you even learn what sounds good?

A chunk of my frustration came from Ron Carter's book on walking bass lines. For example, in the first little bit on creating bass lines, the sequence is: Chord Tones, Non-harmonic bass line, full-blown bass line with rhythmic activity and other passing tones. This sequence of learning takes up two pages in his book. In my book, it takes up all 70. The gap between knowing how a line is even constructed and embellishing it to sound nice could not be wider. This book assumes you have a certain amount (A LOT) of background knowledge. In my book I set out to accomplish a few things, with the underlying educational idea of Dissect & Scaffold. It's exactly what the name implies—dissect an idea to it's fundamental point and then scaffold sequential learning materials to help you understand it fully. In the first chapter alone, I explore:

How does a bass player play in time, what mechanics go in to tone production (right hand, left hand, contact point, amount of contact, what fingers are articulating), what angle should our arm be at, how can we practice tone production, how can I learn to navigate the fingerboard, how do we even figure out what tone I like?

With the bass lines, I have 5 sequential formulas that begin fully diatonic and sequentially add 1, 2, and 3 chromatic (non-harmonic tones) to show you exactly where you can place your outside notes to add intrigue. I have numerous examples of all of these bass lines. I sequence it in a way that reinforces your own understanding of note location and chord layout first, before adding outside harmony. My philosophy is based upon this idea: bass lines are vertical or linear. Vertical makes the most out of chord tones, and linear makes the most out of destination points. A healthy combination of both yields the most interesting results. The first bass lines you create ONLY use chord tones. This helps you learn your instrument and learn where all of the guide tones are. Most of my bass lines to this day are composed of primarily chord tones.

I explore using bebop scales to walk long-destination lines in rhythm changes, triad pair creation for modal tunes, exercises on advanced chromaticism, and LAST is rhythmic activity. I fully believe playing with a great time feel and great harmonic choice is all you need; extra rhythmic activity is icing on the cake.

My approach dissects my entire philosophy of bass line construction to square one (starting with sound, time) and slowly builds you to a point where you understand how to figure out what you like. I have degrees in music education and performance, so this is sort of the culmination of all of my years experience in both fields. Most books aren't written by educators, they're written by performers. Not to say that performers aren't good educators at all, but, I'd like to think my book targets the approach to writing a bit differently than all the others.

lowendrachel likes this.
  5. The link to your store is broken, it took me to FecalBrook: "Something Went Wrong".

I'm highly interested, as I have also had some frustration with pedagogy that says "do this", but doesn't teach HOW. Not to mention the underlying reasons, the base for understanding of the WHY.

I've been frustrated with timing in particular. I have a metronome and follow people's examples of exercises to practice along with the metronome. Yet I still get lost, not so much on the beat itself but on the measure, ie chord changes. I'm either early or late far too often.
    One person told me I needed to "count" the timing, a month or so later the same person said I needed to stop counting and internalise the timing; he did not mean I had progressed enough in my counting time to then move on to the next step of internalisation.

Check with a moderator on Commercial Users Policies (CUP), I'd hate for this thread to be deleted.

6. dkziemann

dkziemann

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    Interesting... I just clicked it again www.dannyziemann.storenvy.com and had no issues! Maybe give it another shot?

And thank you for your feedback! HOW is the most important question we can ask ourselves in order to understand the fundamental workings of an idea. I got so frustrated with books that showed what... there's a huge disconnect. I really try to address this in my book, specifically with how I sequenced the addition of chromatic notes, etc. I really think I successfully find a way to teach people how to learn what sounds good.

Timing can also be frustrating to work on. Everyone's mechanism for producing a sound in time is different. I actually touch upon this in my book. I discuss playing with a strong sound, developing a personalized sense of time, and the role of a bass before we even dig into bass line construction. It really is more of a general jazz bass book.

Thanks for your post!

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Doesn't work for me.

8. dkziemann

dkziemann

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just found this thread. Feral Feline is correct - according to the site's Commercial user policy, creators of online products or services for sale are not allowed to create threads promoting those products or services. So this thread will have to be closed in fairness to all other commercial users who are also not allowed to start similar threads.

What is allowed is for creators of contents and/or services to have a link to their product in their signature, so that all of that person's posts content a one-click link to their product. While commercial users are not allowed to initiate conversation about their products or "bump" threads about them (as per the policy) with posts that are not responding to a direct question about the product, the best strategy is usually for commercial users to be helpful members of the forum in general without mentioning their product in their replies. This puts their profile in a helpful light and leaves more posts out there with the link in them.

I'll leave this open a for a day or so in case anyone has any questions abut the policy. I don't think Danny was trying to break any site rules, but as the site grows it's important to have full disclosure on the CUP.

10. dkziemann

dkziemann

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    Hi Chris,

Sorry for not reading up! I don't post as frequently anymore and didn't bother to check the CUP. I totally understand—I'll brush up my profile and become more active again! Thanks for filling me in.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    No worries. :) I'll close this now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.