Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extremes bassest?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jul 6, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    He man i was half drunk tonight and i was going throught some old tapes (ya tapes remember them kids?) And i listened to a few of the old extreme tapes i found and i forgot how good of a bass player that guy was! Just wish the singer wasnt so damn stupied! Next is the stack or records (round black things that have music on them) that i have in my attic! I have some great albums! Have one with clapton jeff beck and jimi page on it! And all my old beatle albums! I love going through those i need to get a better record player!

2. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    you mean Pat Badger ? :) he's awesome ! can play simple, can play hard, and integrates with the myriad of other instruments in Extreme very well, IMO.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I like Pat Badger myself. One solo he does particularly stands out to me, The one he does in "Its A Monster" How can you not be good when playing with Nuno. They made a good team and complimented each other well.
    My brother said Pats playing for a group called "Trans Atlantic Allstars" I think thats the name, I'll get back up with him and change it if Im wrong.

4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Cool i will try to find that band! Whats that one song were he follows the guitar on bass in a solo?

5. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier Basses / owner: Basschat.co.uk
    Think you are referring to 'Cupids Dead'

6. way to revive a 5 year old thread!

7. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier Basses / owner: Basschat.co.uk
    Haha yep. Not enough info about Pat Badger here!

8. I thought Eric had somehow become un-banned...

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Re: Original Post (I know it's 6 years old) - Gary Cherone is fantastic!!! You are insane to call him "stupied" (sic).

Pat Badger - yes!!!!! Fantastic player. Great pick tone. I just caught Extreme live a couple weeks ago, man, can he play. They did "Cupid's Dead"; what a kick! He plays right there with Nuno on that long complicated solo. Wacked out timing changes, fast playing, rocking, that song has it all. Great vocalist as well, his singing is a big part of the Extreme sound. HIGHLY recommended to any and all fans to see Extreme live and pick up the fantastic new CD.

During the 13 years that Extreme was defunkt, Pat did a brief project called "Supertransatlantic" with Jason Bieler, the (excellent!) singer/songwriter from Saigon Kick. The neat thing about that project was that Jason had posted very polished MP3 demos on his old website "BVB Music" before Pat joined the band. Listening to the songs before and after Badger added his bass lines served to illustrate how much Badger's bass playing contributed. In most cases, the (usually very good) song was noticably improved by Pat's playing, both his lines and his tone. Listening to Extreme then STA it's easy to tell that it's the same player. I just wish that Pat sang more on Bieler's harmony-centric songs.

Supertransatlantic - highly recommended if you can find the CD!

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Pat and Nuno are vastly underrated vocalists. One of my lasting memories is watching the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert on telly and seeing them pull off an incredible Queen medley. They kept all the segments in their original keys and the harmonies were impeccable. At one point they started the intro to Fat Bottomed Girls, in a different key to the bit before, accappella. How the hell did they do that?

The new album is quite good BTW. Not the same as the old days, but still good. Needs a couple more listens till I can make a proper judgement.