1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eye Of God Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by P.Niggz, May 5, 2010.

1. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    Evening All,

My drummer bought me an eye of god pedal for my birthday, which is awesome because I've always been curious about it. The problem is I plugged it all in with an overdrive in the effects loop and it straight away just went mental.

I think my drummer was hoping it would enable me to add some expression to a bass lead part we have in our newest song, and I'm sure I will be able to but at the moment whenever I play and put my foot closer to the photo eye, my playing signal seems to fade away and I just get a really loud high pitched feedback in its place, I tried changing the overdrive for a chorus in the effects loop and it did the same thing.

Is this just how the eye of god works? Or does it enable more expressive playing with other effects... I'm actually thinking of sticking a phaser in the effects loop. Any help at all would be good, no instructions with it or anything :), checked the site but couldn't really understand it in terms of playability.

My drummer is the kind of guy who would get offended if I didn't find a suitable way of using it :)

Thanks for reading.

- Paul

2. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    Actually I've just seen on the Devi Ever site I may have had the pedals wired backwards...

>>> JACKS
    - main INPUT - bottom right
    - main OUTPUT - bottom left
    - loop SEND - top right
    - loop RETURN - top left

I'm right in thinking that the Loop Jacks are the opposite way round to the Input and Output jacks... correct? So the loop would be out of the top right jack to the input of the effects pedal I use and the back from that into the top left jack?

3. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I believe that's just how it works. :hyper:

4. The Eye of God is a feedback loop and has no produces "sound" in and of itself. Depending on the individual pedal (not even necessarily based just on the "type" of effect, you will get different interactions from it, and possibly none at all.

Feedback loops are pedals which spawn pure chaos. I can work that into a song; you may or may not be able to.

5. its not really an 'expression pedal' with the photo eye... its more like you have your feedback loop going with your pedal setup (and your are correct that the right goes to send and the left goes to return) and that you can turn the switch on to control the feedback using the light and shadow of the photo eye...

theres a video that devi has put up

!

it shows how she uses it,... about 1.46 is the easiest to see how the photo eye works in my opinion... the only thing you can do with these things is experiment! as has been said, some settings/pedals do nothing in a feedback loop, others will create all sorts of chaos... if you want control over the sounds you can always put a wah or pitch shifter into the loop, I find using the wah as well as feedback can create some very interesting things ;)

edit: only problem is that anything in the loop cant be taken out and used normally,... sometimes a downfall of the design but devi's excuse is that she would use other pedals normally and have dedicated ones in the loop due to the way different settings provide different sounds in a feedback loop (ie normal OD sounds you use may not work in the loop and have different settings)

6. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    Hey All,

Didn't want to re-start a new thread so thought I'd resurrect this one for another question.

I sorted out my previous problem and have the eye of god working really nicely on a few lead parts now, thanks to an OD and Phaser pedal in its loop.

My next question is: Does anyone know whether or not the eye of god will work with a multieffects in its loop, lets say the Line 6 BassPodXTPro?

The reason I ask if because I'm not really wanting to buy all new pedals to put in the effects loop, and I'm kinda in need of using the pedals I have in the loop at the moment outside of the loop.

I have heard about a mod for the Eye Of God so that you can use the pedals in the loop without the feedback loop being on, but no idea who does this mod or if it effects the pedal itself in other ways so I thought it would just be easier to stick a multi-effects in there instead :).

Once again thanks in advance for any help.

7. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i have a diy feedback loop and it works ok with my zoom b2.1u multifx...

well, it sounds like hell on earth but that's part of it coolness isn it?
    :D

8. ooo thats a very cool thing to do...

I just did what devi suggested and have 'purpose for the loop' pedals on a seperate board and then my usual band board so I could still access other effects...

I do have a zoom B2 but I hate programming the thing so I only ever use it as a headphones amp to play anywhere I want lol

good idea though!

mmm I want to break it out more now, I know theres no way in hell you can tell any individual feedback loop apart but (even if its in my head) I think the devi sounds better/ more controllable... but I like the other one I have by road rage cos I can use effects in the loop without having to use it as a feedback loop...

9. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    ha, well I may actually buy a line6podx3 just in case it doesn't work I can use it for third guitarist parts i may play in my band that we may experiment into. Its just a hell load of money.

I just love the way the eye of god makes my small stone sound, as long as you have the control set pretty high so it doesn't just make a siren sound, when you play it adds a real crunchy harshness to the phaser, I stuck a bit of delay on it and then when the sweep was going down I covered up the photo eye and it makes a sub drop sound. :)

I would ideally like a separate board for my loop but its just gonna be as expensive as buying pedals for my actual board and that's crippling me financially at the moment. Why do these choices have to be so difficult! :)

10. just buy things slowly over time,... it's what I have done and works well so long as you pace it,..

and justify that

a) any hobby will have expenses

b) at least your not on drugs or an alcoholic and wasting the money away :)

apart from that, welcome to the wonderful world of extreme effects,... wish I had more time/initiative to keep using them in crazy ways, have alot of ideas I want to implement that I still havent gotten around to doing! :)

11. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    Haha, yeah man usually I'm really patient with anything and don't mind waiting but the problem is my band hits the studio to record our album in August and I'm really in need of getting my sounds sorted properly :)

If I go for a multi-fx I could get it on finance, which I can pay off monthly at no interest... single effects which I know would benefit me more sadly can't be bought in bulk on finance. I'll keep searching the ebay for now haha!

Just another question but what are your favourite effects to put through the feedback loop?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    you don't know that.

:bag:

:D

13. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    he's right though :)

never touched a drug in my life... although the fact I've been trying to sleep for about 3 hours now and I've gotta be up in 4 and a half hours is seriously making me think **** it! ha!

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    well good then. just remember aerosmith proved that drugs don't make you play better.

15. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    ha, so I finally slept a good 3 hours :). Off to see aerosmith in 2 weeks time so I'm sure I'll find out :)

16. mmm well what I usually do is run a full board (my main 2 boards have been carefully setup and velcroed into place, changing them is a PITA) and just run one end to the other into the eye of god, so usually consists of, distortions/fuzz, wah, chorus, delay on my band board and distortions/fuzz/pitch shifter/octave fuzz/flanger/delay on the other,...
    using wah or pitch shifter basically means can control the effect alot more (ie if you have an annoying high pitch from using other effects you can use wah / pitch shifter to bring it down)

I really need to experiment with it alot more!

17. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    yeah man ideally I'd like two boards but I really can't afford it,

18. you can afford it if you buy it peice by peice,... I didn't buy all mine at once ;)

mine is 3 years worth of collecting so it averages itself out ok...

but dont worry about it, just have fun and see what happens!

19. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    yeah like I said before though I need to get it sorted so I can hit the studio with it, otherwise I'm gonna have to keep the eye of god to one side until we start writing the next album which will be a total drag.

I'm thinking about getting a podXTpro and risking it, if it doesn't work then I'll atleast be able to use that for other stuff so it won't be a complete waste of cash! :)