Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eye Of The Beholder, anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Did anyone play this computer game? Just curious to se who else used to play it( i used to, but I lost my disk with it on, and my PC is so fast, it won't work with it anymore). :rolleyes:

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Your PC is so fast it won't work with it anymore?! Doubtful. There's probably another reason it won't work on your PC.

brad cook

3. Erm, no. EOB is an OLD game. A 100Mhz PC was too fast, and had to be slowed down to work the game, so I think a 2.6Ghz PC is gonna be a wee bit too quick too.

4. Still, that doesn't sound right. I can run Day of the Tentacle (hardcore oldschool comp game) fine on my machine, and it's very modern. (winXP, AMD64, atix800 etc)

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I have one thing to say, ignorance is bliss.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Nick isnt being ignorant. His PC probably tries to run it at a too higher framrate causing overload in the 'pipes' on his gfx card.

Davidoc - I bet you're running an emulator to run DOTT arent you? So itll be the emulator that limits the framerate.

Remeber the old skool release of GTA? That had a framerate limiter in the pc version (f11 for those interested).

I do like being right.

7. YES! DotT ruled. Spent lots of time on that game, and still like the genre of Problem Solving games.

8. [​IMG]
    This one was in the same story so I'm gonna throw it in for derailing this thread with Mr. T goodness-

[​IMG]

9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I stand correct, after doing a little research I found out that certain DOS games were based on the clock.

I will restate my previous comment though, ignorance is bliss. :)

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Actually, this is a common problem with playing older games, such that there are PC decelerators available on the web.

I recently download Pirates! gold from an abandonware site, it didn't run at first, then I learned that I not only had to switch the display to 256 colors but I also had to run at 800x600 for optimum play. in addition to that, combat and some other things in the game all happen way to fast, nearly making unplayable. I've found though that if I just put on some task in the background it becomes playable.

Some games probably won't have this problem because they may have been coded better or whatever, but it's definitely an issue for many older games.

By the way, I remember eye of hte beholder, I don't remember if I liked it or not, but I do remember playing it.

11. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Nick if you really want to play that game you can, you'll just have to change a few settings on your computer. WR is right that there are things you can download to help with the old games. GOOGLE.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My bad...

brad cook

13. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    The best comp slower-downer I've found (and used to play EOB and Pirates!) is Cpukiller. YMMV.

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    sometimes when my fingers are too fast at a gig, the band leader has to download a few shots of tequila in me to slow down...

:D ;)

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    insert joke about girlfriends here.

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

;)

17. OK guys, enough of the technical speak, who actually played the game?

18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    There's actually been close to 0 technical speak here ....hah

19. I prefer "Eye of the Beer Holder" myself.

Rock on
    Eric