Eye-opening GC trip

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bman, Jan 16, 2006.

1. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I'm on the lookout for a new bass. There's a used Ric 4001 at the Guitar Center nearby. (Well, not nearby. Nothing is nearby where I live.) They also have the Cort Artisan B4 - which I played last week and was pleasantly surprised with. (Especially considering the price.)
    I was also considering a Bongo. (I know, I'm all over the board.)

I try the Bongo on for size - someone whacked the volume knob so hard it's practically sideways. It's bent very badly. Forget it.

I try the Ric - two of the knobs just keep spinning and spinning, and the bridge pickup is whacked diagonally. The knobs probably just need a tightening, and maybe I'm extra picky, but if I buy a bass I want it close to being ready to play. (Minus a setup and some minor tweaking.) Plus there were dings all over it. I can get a brand new one for what they had it tagged at. (About $1,200.)

I return to the Cort B4 - one of the knobs is missing. Just ripped right off the body. Forget it.

Out of curiosity I tried a used headless Kubicki - the strings are deader than... Something that's really, really dead. Not warm-dead, dead-dead. I realize that's easily fixable, but if I can't get a feel for it, I guess I'll just move on.

I swear I wanted to spend some money. I was in a particularly irresponsible mood today, and I want/need a new bass. But now I'm so wary of the way their guitars are treated, I seriously doubt I'd buy anything there.
    I'm not necessarily blaming the GC guys. It must be a nightmare to try to keep track of kids coming in and wailing away on the instruments. (What a din in that place today!)
    But still... They should've seen me coming a mile away - stupid grin, faraway stare, GC card in-hand, and GAS to beat the band. Ah well.
  2. Any idea where the nearest GC to Hanover, NH is?
  3. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I don't get near Hanover... But probably Nashua.
    I was in the one on the Peabody/Danvers Mass. line. You at Dartmouth?
  4. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

It's worth your time to find one that's playable.

Trust me -- it's an awesome instrument!
  5. Yeah.

We have a 'Hanover Strings', but the prices and selection are pretty iffy (even more so than GCs). I'll try to check out Nashua if I get a chance...I'm about ready for an upgrade.
  6. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    I knew the GC before you even said it, or I looked at your location. You forgot to mention the zon sonus that needs all new pots. As far as basses go, I feel bad even walking in there. It takes thema very long time to sell anything. Oh well.
  7. Man! You guys must be real terrors on gear on the east end of the states! The GC out here has some nice rigs; haven't come across one, yet, that's been beat like that! Glad for that, too. Makes you want to cry, sometimes.:scowl: