Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eye surgery

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Anybody had eye surgery to help them see better?

What are you thought?
    Experience?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

My mother and my brother's best friend. My mother had it a while back when the technology was new. My brother's friend had it recently, each eye took about 7 minutes, and he was fully recovered in less than a week. When the surgery and recovery time is that fast, it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

3. I think eye surgery is to make people SEE straight, not BE straight.

I had the R-K done 10-12 years ago, it worked great. I'm at the point now where I need reading glasses, normal for 46. R-K is where they slice the cornea like a pizza, not the newer laser techniques. I got lucky, ended up with 20/15 vision in one eye, 20/22 in the other. 20/15 is better than "perfect" 20/20.

The new stuff works even better, supposedly. Research all the latest stuff thoroughly before you do it. But its great, I'm glad I did it. I'm thinking of looking into whether I can get a correction now to get rid of the reading glasses, not sure if its possible after previous eye surgery.

Randy

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    how much did it cost?

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    From my buddy... i hear the only downside is that it might get worse in years to come (ie like in 20-30 years) but as he said... If they know of a problem i am sure they will fix it when those 20 years come around:)

Edited... glad to see thread looking nice again:)

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I hear it's somewhat prone to faster degredation over the years.

I'm more interested in natural methods of vision improvement at www.seeclearlymethod.com

My eyes haven't gotten worse at all in 4 years, it comes down to a matter of nutrition and proper excercise.

7. If your prescription is constantly changing every few years when you get new glasses, they'd discourage you getting the surgery. Since in a couple years you would need a new prescription again anyway. Maybe they're making so much money off the technique they no longer worry about that.... :rollno:

My prescription was stable for pretty much the last 10-12 years after the surgery, and a few years prior. I only need reading glasses now, normal aging. Although they may have overshot and made me a little farsighted instead of nearsighted like I was. Not enough to need glasses until old age started kicking in.

I'm curious about the see clearly method, you really think that works? Honestly always thought that was serious quackery, but never looked into it. What does it entail, why do they claim it works? Does it improve vision, or just prevent further degeneration? I'm sort of curious.... What does it cost?

Randy

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    [​IMG]

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Do a lot of research on eye surgery and really weigh the risks before doing it.

Start here: Surgical Eyes

I personally would never do it, but every person has different tolerance for risk.