Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eyeopener: Thumbrest!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jun 30, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I had an interesting experience last night...

I helped my guitarist buddy find a cheap bass to keep around for recording. We found a used Epi Powerbass (we think) - an 80's era P/J on a P style body, with J style controls and nut. What made this one special was that the prior owner had installed an EMG P/J set. After Tommy cleaned it up and did a setup, the thing sounds and plays great. Not bad for $130.

So, last night at the end of our jam I grabbed this thing to give it a try. It has a thumbrest, which may have been added (it's brown, while the rest of the hardware and pickguard is black). I'd forgotten how much more pleasant it is (IMO) to play with a thumbrest! It makes my hand position more consistent, and I find it easier to play more smoothly.

I'm thinking about picking up a few cheap thumbrests and attaching them to my Jazz and Sterling pickguards with double-sided tape to see how it works out. I know that the "modern technique" eschews thumbrests, but hell - I ain't modern either!

2. I found mine at GC for something like $5.

Or you can get caught in the ebay scam and pay $20 for a vintage Fender thumbrest, which ironicly looks exactly like the after market brand new thumbrest as previously mentioned. :rolleyes: :D

I've got an extra one sitting around unused, and if I don't put it on my essex when it gets here, you can have it.

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    MoFo has them cheap enough - it's more the shock that it made such a big difference in playing comfort!

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Over the pickup works great for me... and if I need to play elsewhere, not a big deal.

That said, I can see the appeal of the thumbrest. However if I were to go through the trouble of installing one, I'd get a rail that goes from bridge pickup to neck!

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    There was one on my first bass, an old Fender Musicmaster. I used it all the time.

Now, I just rest my thumb on the B string or on one of the pickups. I vary my right hand position quite a bit (playing over different areas of the bass to get different sounds) so a thumb rest wouldn't really be of much use to me.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just anchor my thumb on the pickups, and away I go. I've tried a fre basses with thumbrests...they feel very awkward to me. Now, a ramp (the ones that sit under the strings) is something I might like, though.

7. DBeall

DBeall

May 10, 2002
    Vancouver, Wa
    If you don't want to rest it on the pickups, then why not the pickguard if you have one?

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, I picked up a pair of them at GC today. Where's that double-sided foam tape?