Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eyes Wide Shut?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Anyone ever see the movie Eyes Wide Shut?

I saw it the other day...and it was just really unique and different. I really liked it. I thought the music added to the suspense,especially in the hall scene.

Heh,I'm listening to the song the pianist was playing when this scene occured,and it's scaring me:)

hehe...

Discuss!

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Lots of boobies.......good movie!

I just hate Tom Cruse!

3. Yeah, I agree, I don't like looking at that ehr, thing, on top of Tom Cruise's rump.

Nicole Kidman is yummy, especially in her underwear... :eek:

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That movie sucked so bad...
    I guess they felt the need to cast a real couple for the leads because of some scenes (Nicole wiping her butt etc.), but nothing in that movie was as ourageous or frivolous as the buzz indicated, at least for people used to European movies.

I don't understand how the studios let Tom Cruise ruin EVERY movie he ever played in. Maybe the Church of $cientology buys him in. :spit:

Give me my money back.

5. I have to agree with you 100% there, Joris. ;)

I have mixed feelings about the movie itself.

I liked: The way Kubrick used warm and cool lighting in many of the scenes in the apartment. Next time you watch it, notice that one room will be bluish in color, while the room right next to it is orange-ish in color. I thought it was a nice touch.

I also liked the fact that while Tom Cruise was at the orgy, Nicole was dreaming almost the exact same thing. It supported the belief in marriage to me; husband tries to cheat, the wife can almost read his thoughts. (Man & wife are one in body and spirit)

I didn't like:

1) One of the opening scenes in which the hooker that overdosed was completely naked for about 3 minutes. Nudity is fine, just don't over use it, or use it simply to shock the audience.
    2) The actor that played the Hungarian guy that was trying to pick up Nicole Kidman; he was not very convincing to me as a "Man-of-the-world, lady killer type."
    3) The scene where Tom Cruise was trying to rent a costume; it was just too long.
    4) The scene where Tom Cruise is trying to crash the party, you know where he has to say the password, "Fidelio." Dry, very dry. (the acting)
    5) Tom Cruise just being in the movie; they couldn't get someone else? :spit:

So there you have it - It stunk, but it didn't stink, but it had some good parts. :p

Now, for my next review, I will rip Gone With The Wind to pieces: Just who did Clark Gable think he was...

Mike :D

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Kubrick gets my vote for Best Director Ever. "Eyes Wide Shut" is not his best work, but still a darn good flick IMO. As with all Kubrick films there's lots of subtlety... much of it goes over my head :p, but regardless, repeat viewings are rewarding.

Sure, Nicole's hot, but so was Leelee Sobieski (sp?). I don't care a whit for Tom Cruise the person, but I think he's a decent actor.

I believe the haunting piano in EWS was from a Ligeti work... as were the freaky-scary pieces in "2001".

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That was only 3 minutes?
    Put me down for "I like it".

What was that password again...fellatio?

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Some of the scenes in that film I thought were pure magic, Kubrick at his finest really. Though my overall impression of this film when I saw it, was that it's his weakest one (my favourites are Barry Lyndon and The Shining). It's been quite some time since I saw it though, I think I need to see it again to say anything more.

I don't know why so many people dislike Tom Cruise. Granted, he's not the best of actors, but neither is Nick Cage, or John Travolta, or Harrison Ford, or many of the other big names. Is it because of Top Gun, Scientology or just envy that he gets nice chicks? :D

9. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    Cool movie...it is based on a book by Arthur Schnitzler called 'Dream Story'....The mansion scenes are cool! LOVE those masks. ever wonder if the power elite partake in occult rituals/practices? Sorta like the myth of the Illuminati....Hugh Heffner is the pimp for the Illuminati!! AURGH!!

10. I thought the whole mask thing was very odd,but the one part where he swung the smoking latern thing around the naked broads was neat,and interesting.

11. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Osama you need to check out these movies in this order-

Full Metal Jacket

2001- A Space Odyssey

A Clockwork Orange.

Have fun with those classics! I really want to see Dr. Strangelove, but the video store I go to doesn't have it =(

12. I got FMJ,and I saw C/O and didn't really like it...