1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by MR PC, Apr 19, 2010.

1. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    It might be a good idea to pay attention to this commentary, quoted from an article in the Dallas Times.

"The Iceland eruption is one small reminder of the awesome effect nature can have on our globalized world. It's worth noting that another volcanic eruption in Iceland, in 1783, lasted eight months and sent a huge cloud of toxic smoke across Europe that killed 10,000 people and altered global climate patterns.

An old margarine commercial in the 1970s used to warn us nightly, "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature." But perhaps we've just been fooling ourselves. Despite our high-tech mastery, we tend not to appreciate how tenuous our grip is on this planet's phenomenal natural forces. Like children, we prefer to ignore them as we run fast and play hard. Like any good mother, nature has its way of reminding us to slow down."

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
  3. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yep - the guitar player in one of my bands is doing a gig in Poland right now. First thing that happens when they get there, the president dies and they're "off" for 7 days. The singer takes off on a jaunt to the Ukraine. Said volcano erupts - now (or last word anyway) he's stuck there in the Ukraine, trying to get a train back in time for the Poland gig to resume...

Tenuous grip indeed.

The first thing I pictured when I first heard about the 1783 eruption, was the four of them lining up to buy passage by ship back to Canada. It's a bit funnier now that it looks like they're beginning to open flights back up.