1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EZ Pack Guitar Stand for Bass?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by derylgallant, Mar 12, 2018.

1. derylgallant

derylgallant Bassist from Prince Edward Island, Canada

Aug 1, 2005
    Charlottetown, PEI
    Has anyone used the Hercules EZ Pack Guitar Stand for their electric basses while playing live? Secure enough? any worry of topple?

GS200B

2. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I wouldn’t. It’s a very practical stand for rehearsals and such, but I would never use one in a live situation, as it’s far too flexy. If you want to use an A-frame type stand, König & Meyer’s Heli 2 stand is a much better option.

EDIT: If you DO want a light, extremely compact and sturdy stand, I just ditched my Hercules EZ Pack stand for this:
    Gigstand Electric

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Remember that gui****s (especially drunks) can knock these little guys over in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    SwitchGear likes this.
  4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Oh no. I wouldn't use that (or any a-frame guitar stand) anywhere, even in my studio. I use Ultimate Stands GS100 exclusively, on stage and in the studio. I can't trade security for convenience.

5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I don’t mind A-frame stands as such, the good ones can be quite secure - it’s mainly a question of footprint size and tilt angle. The K&M Heli 2 is roughly pyramid-shaped, and difficult to knock the bass out of, or topple. But the EZ Pack feels very wobbly, which is why I no longer use it.

EDIT: I took my EZ Pack out again after writing this post and tried it with my heaviest bass, an EBMM Classic Sabre. I think much of the problem lies in the fact that the EZ Pack has nothing to stop the legs of the frame flexing further apart, which makes it much easier for the bass to slip out of the cradle. The cradle itself is made for both acoustics and electrics, with a sort of spring-loaded catch to hold electrics in place. This catch is very small, and does not hold a bass securely, and can easily slip back into its recess. This means you have to be very careful when putting your bass in the stand to avoid disasters. Not good for gigs.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  6. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I've been using 2 A frames, a K&M and another similar brand. Never had a mishap and they seem to secure basses better compared to other styles, IMO.

JakobT likes this.
  7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I love my Gigstand. So portable, and reasonably sturdy. No worries about topples, but then I’m not precious about my basses. I have too many as it is, and if one breaks, I’ll just make another one. :roflmao:

8. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    It’s a much better design, to be sure. Best lightweight portable stand design I’ve seen so far.