1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EZmix?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Anyone familiar with this? Im considering it since ive damaged my hearing significantly and feel pretty useless as a producer/engineer. I also always have a rough time getting great vocal sounds and im hoping it will help.

Thoughts?

2. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    I have the 1.0 version (2.0 should be coming pretty soon).
    It's easy to push the vocal sound around, and it's absolutely great for the amateur -- which I know you're not -- or someone without time / resources to fine tune all those DAW plugins.

I used it only once trying to restore a vocal track from the depths of a bad recording (think early mobile phone mic quality). It helped. If you use it on a well recorded vocal track, it will give nice results. You could get similar effects to your vocals in FAIK, for instance, quite fast.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I don't have ezmix, looks interesting, I need to try it.

but I have Waves plugins, a couple of good ones

Vocal Rider
    Bass Rider

Vocals and bass are the hardest to mix, these actually ride the input levels. There's intelligent algorithm that really does ride the levels like a recording engineer would with their finger on the slider. These are not compressors. You can still use compression for coloration. They are not just automatic gain controls either.

Waves also has many other plugins for vocals. They are not cheap, and YMMV.

4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Regarding ezmix, there's some stuff I'm not fully undersanding. Is it a plugin that I can use with Cubase, or a standalone type DAW? Can I use it for some tracks and not for others, or is it all or nothing? And finally, can I use it and still tweak it with the EQs and effects in cubase?

5. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    Is it a plugin that I can use with Cubase, or a standalone type DAW?

A plugin. I've used it with logic

I use it for some tracks and not for others, or is it all or nothing?

Use it in as many (or few) tracks you want to.

And finally, can I use it and still tweak it with the EQs and effects in cubase?

Yes, you probably could use cubase's EQs and FX on top of it (you can in Logic.

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Didn't realize there was a free version. Had been researching it on my phone and missed that, phone wouldn't load the toontrack site correctly. Anyhow, downloaded the demo last night, and it seems this is precicely what the doctor ordered. :) I took an old song that I struggled with on the drum and vocal tracks. It immediately gave me what I wanted on the drums. Vocals it helped, but I'm still going to have to do some tweaking. I was never one to get anal and crazy about mixes, so I think this is going to be really good $60 investment for me. Thanks for the input guys.