Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F-1X + DB924 / T- Rex Purity + Sadowsky preamp = Overkill???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by {OE}, Oct 11, 2004.

1. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    First, gotta give a shout out and Big Up to everyone @ TB, great community!!!! ....and I thought I was a "basshead" before I found this site....

K, After browsing these forums the past couple weeks I have developed a serious case of G.A.S. :hyper:

As I have spent quite a bit of cash in the past on "novelty" musical gear that I ended up selling, Im thinking it may be in my best interest to just save up for some "good" gear.

After reading reviews and listening to the soundclips on basstasters ( Big UP!) , Im thinking the Alembic F-1X is my choice for a preamp. After that my next major purchase will be a Sadowsky 5 string. But... that will likely be a "few" years down the road.

So, IYO/IYE, would the purchase of an additional preamp now still have a justifiable use once I get the new gear or would I be better off just sticking w/ my "good and useable, but nothing to write home about" sound until I can afford the Sadowsky?

BTW, Im going to mod my 55-01 to be strictly passive and the "foundation" of the sound Im going after will be a combination of subterranean, focused low end; warm, round, punchy and growling mids with glassy/transparent highs.

I realize that the cabs I will use will have a large effect on this and I still cant decide on if I should go with 2x15 or 2x12/1x12 & 1x18, but that is a totally different topic....

Please keep in mind I do not currently have the option to a/b this gear myself. Also any comments, especially on the benefit/cost ratio, on the T-Rex Purity vs. the Aggie 924 ( I also liked the sound of the Aggie outboard over the Sadowsky.) would be greatly appreciated.

'Nuff respect!!!

2. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    *Boom*

Anyone?

Thanks Josh, I wasnt sure which thread to post in so I figured that Misc. would be best choice...

Yeah I like the feel of my bass and the acoustic tone is good, but that pre is c**p to my ears, though still better than anything else that I have heard of comparable value.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  4. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I like to use an outboard preamp with my passive basses, especially my P-bass. At the moment, I happen to own the Sadowsky beltclip pre, the Aguilar 924, and the T-Rex Purity. I used the Sadowsky for years, and loved the sound. The Aguilar sounds similar to the Sadowsky to me, perhaps a little hotter. The T-Rex is my surprise favorite. I would describe the sound as "rounder." I'm using the T-Rex most of the time lately.

I used the Alembic F-1X until very recently. It's a very nice preamp. Make sure that you use a good tube in it -- you may want to experiment a bit. And I would definitely recommend a good outboard pre like the Sadowsky or the T-Rex to go with the F-1X.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1