F-1X + DB924 / T- Rex Purity + Sadowsky preamp = Overkill???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by {OE}, Oct 11, 2004.

1. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    First, gotta give a shout out and Big Up to everyone @ TB, great community!!!! ....and I thought I was a "basshead" before I found this site....

K, After browsing these forums the past couple weeks I have developed a serious case of G.A.S. :hyper:

As I have spent quite a bit of cash in the past on "novelty" musical gear that I ended up selling, Im thinking it may be in my best interest to just save up for some "good" gear.

After reading reviews and listening to the soundclips on basstasters ( Big UP!) , Im thinking the Alembic F-1X is my choice for a preamp. After that my next major purchase will be a Sadowsky 5 string. But... that will likely be a "few" years down the road.

So, IYO/IYE, would the purchase of an additional preamp now still have a justifiable use once I get the new gear or would I be better off just sticking w/ my "good and useable, but nothing to write home about" sound until I can afford the Sadowsky?

BTW, Im going to mod my 55-01 to be strictly passive and the "foundation" of the sound Im going after will be a combination of subterranean, focused low end; warm, round, punchy and growling mids with glassy/transparent highs.

I realize that the cabs I will use will have a large effect on this and I still cant decide on if I should go with 2x15 or 2x12/1x12 & 1x18, but that is a totally different topic....

Please keep in mind I do not currently have the option to a/b this gear myself. Also any comments, especially on the benefit/cost ratio, on the T-Rex Purity vs. the Aggie 924 ( I also liked the sound of the Aggie outboard over the Sadowsky.) would be greatly appreciated.

'Nuff respect!!!

2. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    *Boom*

Anyone?

Thanks Josh, I wasnt sure which thread to post in so I figured that Misc. would be best choice...

Yeah I like the feel of my bass and the acoustic tone is good, but that pre is c**p to my ears, though still better than anything else that I have heard of comparable value.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  4. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I like to use an outboard preamp with my passive basses, especially my P-bass. At the moment, I happen to own the Sadowsky beltclip pre, the Aguilar 924, and the T-Rex Purity. I used the Sadowsky for years, and loved the sound. The Aguilar sounds similar to the Sadowsky to me, perhaps a little hotter. The T-Rex is my surprise favorite. I would describe the sound as "rounder." I'm using the T-Rex most of the time lately.

I used the Alembic F-1X until very recently. It's a very nice preamp. Make sure that you use a good tube in it -- you may want to experiment a bit. And I would definitely recommend a good outboard pre like the Sadowsky or the T-Rex to go with the F-1X.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1