Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F-1X into Mesa 400 or M Pulse??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kboyd, Aug 21, 2003.

1. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I currently run an Alembic F-1X into a B2R, great tone, just looking for more power and punch and midrange tweakability. I have read the posts about power amps and other Alembic setups, just wondering if anyone has plugged the Alembic into a Mesa 400 head or an M-pulse 600? Would this be over kill, would the Alembic enhance the tone of such a already rich sounding head??

2. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    The m-pulse 600 may be overkill if used with another eq device- I have the 360 and find myself over-eq'ing accidentally sometimes when I adjust for rooms. In addition to the three band eq, it has a switchable five band parametric. If you would like to use a preamp I think it would best be used as a tone shaping tool on the 400+, but they already sound like buttah to me soo....

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Mesa 400+ preamp is basically the same thing as the F1-X. Both are based on the old blackface Fender preamp designs. I can't see any point in using both!

4. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Thanks, I could not remember the last time I played the 400, and I was using a different bass at the time. All I remember is that it was LOUD. I was not sure if it had the same clean capabilities of the alembic. If this is the case. I might just get one and run an Alembic Superfilter thru it!!! While on the subject, have you compared the mesa 4x10 to the ampeg 4x10??