1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

F-1X into Mesa 400 or M Pulse??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kboyd, Aug 21, 2003.

1. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I currently run an Alembic F-1X into a B2R, great tone, just looking for more power and punch and midrange tweakability. I have read the posts about power amps and other Alembic setups, just wondering if anyone has plugged the Alembic into a Mesa 400 head or an M-pulse 600? Would this be over kill, would the Alembic enhance the tone of such a already rich sounding head??

2. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    The m-pulse 600 may be overkill if used with another eq device- I have the 360 and find myself over-eq'ing accidentally sometimes when I adjust for rooms. In addition to the three band eq, it has a switchable five band parametric. If you would like to use a preamp I think it would best be used as a tone shaping tool on the 400+, but they already sound like buttah to me soo....

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Mesa 400+ preamp is basically the same thing as the F1-X. Both are based on the old blackface Fender preamp designs. I can't see any point in using both!

4. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Thanks, I could not remember the last time I played the 400, and I was using a different bass at the time. All I remember is that it was LOUD. I was not sure if it had the same clean capabilities of the alembic. If this is the case. I might just get one and run an Alembic Superfilter thru it!!! While on the subject, have you compared the mesa 4x10 to the ampeg 4x10??