Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F-1X tube help Please!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SERadtke, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Hey Guys and Girls!
    I'm buying a used F-1X and the owner said he has a few different tubes to chose from. I know adsolutly nothing about tubes and coukd really use some help!!
    He said he has:
    -Sovtec 12ax7lps
    -JJ Tesla
    -Ei
    -Possibly others
    I like a tight, punchy, bassy tone.... Which tube should I get with it???? Please help!!! Thanks!

2. Anyone?... Anyone?... Bueler?

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I don't think you'll notice a drastic difference between the above mentioned tubes. Tone, as I'm sure you know, is produced thru a combonation of factors. I would just run with the 12ax7. If you wanna expirement just buy another tube. MOst can be had for about $10.00. Honestly, it's really not that great of a decision.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Paging Chuck M, paging Chuck M...

When I had my F2B serviced I replaced the tubes with $10 ones that the tech guy recommended. I don't remember the brand, sorry, but they sound great. Some people are very choosy about their tubes, however.

5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I would choose the JJ. I think it is the best sounding of the tubes offered unless the EI is a greyplate. The newer EI have silver plate assemblies and do not sound as good as the older grey plates.

I've spent time and $$ playing with tubes and the only tube front end that does not sound dramatically better with a NOS USA or European tube is the Eden. It sounds better but the improvement is not as noticeable as it is with other tube preamps.

My favorite tubes for bass preamps include:

Telefunken ECC83
    GE short plate 12AX7A/ECC83
    RCA 7025
    RCA 12AX7A
    Sylvania 12AX7A
    Mullard ECC83

There are other tubes that sound very good but these are my favorites, so far.

Tube manufacturers regularly purchased tubes from each other and marked them with their own brand names. Many Sylvania tubes are marked RCA, Philips, Groove Tubes (GT simply puts their brand on the tubes that pass their tests except for the GE 6L6 power tube they recently began manufacturing) and others. I've seen Mullard, EI, GE and Sylvania tubes marked RCA.

In any case, you can purchase more tone improvement per dollar spent with tubes than you can with any other equipment purchase. A $25 to $50 tube can improve the tone of an SWR preamp so much that you'd think it was not the same equipment. Sweeter highs, deeper lows and no harshness in the lower mids. All with the simple installation of a tube that plugs right in.:)

Chuck

6. A cool feature of the F-1X is that the tube sees a plate voltage of 300v for a very wide open tone. Most manufacturers who claim a "tube preamp" in their bass rigs don't come close to providing that much volta to their bottles. What you end up with is a compressed tone easily prone to break up.

7. Thanks for all the input!!! I emailed the list...I'll see what he has laying around. Is it possible to get an owners manual for the F1-X? I've surffed Alembic's site but can't find one. Maybe I'll have to email them.

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I purchased one F-1X new and it came with no owners manual.

As long as you know that the closest to flat response is with the bass and treble on 2 and the mids on 10, you know all you need to know about the F-1X. You'll like it a lot.

Chuck

9. Thanks for all your help!!

10. Does an owner's manual even exist for the F1-X??

11. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    nope. you get a one page leaflet that describes it and the SPB2whatever thingy.

very basic info. generally worthless =p

but it's pretty easy to setup. and i am pretty worthless at setting up gear

12. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    The choice of tube can make a HUGE difference in the sound of the F-1X. When I bought mine (used), it had some Chinese 12AX7 tube, and had a huge, boomy, flabby bottom end. Then I read an article in a bass magazine (Bass Frontiers, I think) about 5751 tubes. One of the top pics was a Sylvania 5751. I found some used on eBay, and installed one. It tightened up the bottom and smoothed out the sound overall.

That's one point of view. I'd also heed the advice of Chuck M. on this and most other matters.