1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

F-800B Amp Squeal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sedrikk1250, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Sedrikk1250

Sedrikk1250

Nov 13, 2010
    Hey guys,
    So I came across a F-800B for the first time since I started looking in '05. Being a huge Death From Above 1979 fan, it was on my list. I received it yesterday and bought a cab today. 4x12 and I don't know the exact load off hand but it is for bass. It is also a Peavey and when I played a guitar head through it at the local guitar shop, it sounded great; a nice bass-y crunch. So it's not the cab. Now, when I run it through my setup, I get a very high pitched scream. I can play with it and quiet it with the 2500 eq knob, but I lose all high end. It does go away when I roll off the overdrive, but I want to crank it for a DFA1979 tone. I can't even get the volume past two without a literally painful squeal. I've tried other guitars and it has to be the amp.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    It's called feedback. It's from having the gain/overdrive cranked. :D

3. Sedrikk1250

Sedrikk1250

Nov 13, 2010
    It's not the feedback. :rollno: I've ran a russian big muff into it w/o my noise suppressor and didn't get any feedback (no amp od). I even tried it with my boost pedal in front of it. What bugs me is that I set the amp to Jesse F. Keeler's exact settings and I get that whine whereas, live, he gets none of that. He has even said that he loves how he can crank it an get no feedback.
    http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/littlevegasandthefuzzparade/deathfromabove1979bassist8ut.jpg at the bottom

On a side note, how does he add 1,000 more watts to his rig, safely?

4. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Because he's telling lies. Acoustic 450 = 170w. Peavey FB-800 = 300w. Grand total 640w through two Traynor 810's that he changed out the speakers in. I own an Acoustic 450 and two Traynor YCB-810's (Big B cabs) They don't have a lot of low end at all because they are so shallow. They're only like 12" deep and fart out if you really try to push any real lows through them. Take the amp to a tech, Running a pedal into the amp with out the OD on won't mean that the amp itself will feedback with it's own gain/OD cranked up. Walk about ten feet in front of your rig and see if it still does it. If it does take it to a tech.

5. Sedrikk1250

Sedrikk1250

Nov 13, 2010
    Well I cleaned it out and lubricated the pots, so we'll see how that works. Is there anything that usually fails after a decade or two, like all the power transistors? I know eventually I need to take it in, but I'd like to get it at least playable. As for the squealing, it doesn't go away if I play, unlike most feedback. The squealing stays and my tone starts to sound more like if you start strumming while the amp is powering up. I know it's isolated at the amp because it will squeal when nothing is plugged in, and messing around with the eq sounds exactly like a theremin. Again. this is with no overdrive, amp or pedal.
    By the way, the Traynor Big B's are the last on my list, but I doubt I'll find any soon, can you suggest a similar cab that will give me the same "distortion" effect if I boost the low end?