F.A.A.S. Piezo pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by John Davis, Apr 6, 2002.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Fellow TB'r Mr. Bob Gollihur built a nice jazz type bass (iirc) with `em.

I think there's a picture of it on his site -- www.gollihur.com

Also, I believe Mr. G sells `em :).
  3. I put the F.A.A.S. system on my fretless P-bass. The first thing I noticed was that it is very bassy, much more so than the magnetic pickup. It sounds really great with the bass cut a little. It also puts out a lot of treble but I think this is common to all piezos. If you go to www.roballenguitars.com and listen to the sound clip there, that will give you an idea of what the FAAS sounds like (on a fretless with flatwounds). My bass with the FAAS doesn't sound as good as the Rob Allen but it is similar. Also, if you normally pluck near the bridge this pickup might not be so great for you. It really accentuates the "thump" of your plucking finger as it hits the next string down. (If you tap directly on one of the bridge saddles, it produces a loud THUMP through the speakers.)
  4. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    :) I installed a faas pup/ preamp system into an Essex el-cheapo P-bass knockoff with a maple finger board. I haven't gigged with it yet, but I'm going to this weekend and next weekend. I'm hoping I'll get an upright vibe without having to schlep around my beloved real upright. I've got to say that the bass IS very fun to play at home now. It sounds big and full with the TI Jazz Flats and the stock P-bass PUP on about half volume in combination with the faas piezos. I'll post more remarks after I've used it on several gigs.