F Bass 4 strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassjigga, Sep 22, 2004.

1. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Did F Bass quit making 4 string models? How come it seems no one plays 4 string F basses?

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I believe they've been just special-order items for a long time. There are definately some out there, but not nearly as many as the 5's.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    There's one for trade right now in the forums. He's prefering to trade for a 5 string F, but I'm not sure he's going to get too many bites on that.

But I'm sure that like a lot of other high end builders, he's getting very few requests for 4 strings (one who posts here simply won't do it because he prefers not to and doesn't need to build to make a living so he can turn down work he doesn't want). So with little demand, most builders will not build one that isn't already spoken for, the same reason that they don't make 9-10-11 string basses just to have around, the chances of someone wanting one and wanting "THAT" one is SO slight that you've probably built something that you will not be able to sell. Say George builds a 4 string just to have one in stock for the next guy who calls looking for one and gives it a cool Trans Red finish with the grain enhancement that he does so well, and a matching pickup covers, unlined frettless, bla bla bla. Well I might want to get a 4 string F (who am I kidding, of COURSE I WANT A 4 STRING F!!!) but I don't like red, I'd prefer natural and fretted with no inlays (maybe something cool at 12, but that's it) so his only choice would be to make me another one.

{End dream sequence}
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'd love a four stringer FBass, and got a price on one from...I think Adrian Garcia. I think. The price was *very* reasonable...for someone with an income ;). As a 16 year old with serious GAS and an insatiable curiosity, but no job, I can't go much farther than a price quote for now, unfotunately.

I love fretlesses, but I'm not a fan of 5+ as fretlesses (I'm gassin' for a sixer fretted though), so I've been gassing for a BNF4 for some time now. As of this current moment, I'm gassing for three different F's -- BNF4 (EADG), BNF4 (ADGC), and a BN6 (BEADGC).
  5. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    George @ F Bass is still making them, not too long ago there were 3-4 of them for sale. He does not make many but is still doing them. Give him an e-mail and he will tell you where he shipped them. There is a trans blue BN 4 at bassexchange.com and there was also a used trans. red one for sale at some other shop but I don't remember where.

I was going to buy one to go with my BN 5 until I played a Suhr J Bass, I ended up with the Suhr and never looked back. The F's are very nice but something about that Suhr bass...
  6. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I have BN4 with White Ceruse, it plays and sound fantastic :D , the only little problem is the top coat of the body finish is kinda soft so it leaves marks whent you put it into the gig bag or in contact with plastic material. My new BN5 is under construction , with all special option like 34" scale, Maccassar ebony board, Burl Maple top body, Burl maple matching head stock, Burlmaple matching end of the neck. Most of all the finishing will be of Polyurethane satin. I guess NC is not suitable for tropical climate like my country.
    I am waiting and waiting for George to send me initial picture of that new BN5 :rolleyes:
    If anybody interested to buy my BN4 pls PM me.
  7. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    No kidding, that finsish is the worst I have ever seen on an instrument, what a dissapointment but, that is the only complaint I really have about them. I put more wear on mine in the first couple days of playing mine than I have put on basses I played the hell out of for 10-15 yrs.
  8. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I understand supply and demand. Perhaps a better question would have been how come more 4 string players don't want F Basses?
  9. Pardon my ignorance, but whats an F Bass?
  10. www.fbass.com

I love the look of this one: