Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F Bass 5..help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Jan 7, 2001.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey!!
    I've been a 4 string player for the past 20 years, and I recently aquired an F Bass Studio 5...I LOVE this bass, but after a lot of mental wrestling, I have decided to go back to 4. I'm gigging 5 nights a week and don't have it in me to strap myself into the shed....Ug. Does anyone have the following they'd be interested in trading for?...
    1) Fodera Emperor 4
    2) Elrick 4 (fretted or pink ivory fretless w/lines)
    3) F Bass 4
    4) Lakland Classic 4
    5) Kenneth Lawrence 4
    6) One of Jaco's original 2 basses....(Just kidding...)

HELP MEEEEEEE!!!!!
    'tanks!

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    more information on your bass would help, a E-mail address would also be fine

3. This is your chance guys! These F Basses RULE!!!!

4. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    The F Bass is a Studio 5, SUPER lightweight ash body, quartersawn maple board, tobacco burst nitrocellulose laquer finish, reverse headstock (so that the B string has a longer downward pull across the nut for better tension), and original F gig bag. I just had the frets crowned and leveled by Carey Nordstrand, who does the frets for Suhr guitars....absolutely the best fretjob I've ever seen!! NO buzzes, even with the strings laying almost flat on the neck!!!
    F Basses are not allowed to be sold than any more than 20% off retail (as per George Furlanetto, owner of F Bass), so this bass would normally go for 2850 new, and it's klean with a k!!
    It's easily the best crafted bass I've owned, and the tone is flippin' outrageous, but I'm a 4 stringer at heart!
    My email is retired@wwdb.org.

5. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Yo, Bob!
    I know you're an F Bass lover!! I used to see your posts over at the Lakland Forum...boy, aren't you glad they shut that thing down?? Eesh.....
    Do you have any of the aforementioned culprit basses in your stable you'd be willing to trade? Maybe one I didn't mention?
    By the way, I know you're in Columbus...I used to teach bass in the music dept at Ohio University in Athens!
    Scribble back...

6. I'm in Greenfield, MA. My grype with the Lakland forum was; It SEEMED to me to be a pissing gallery, and a place where some Lakland owners were trying to make themselves feel better about paying a lot for their basses. I liked my Lakand DLX 55. It just didn't have what I wanted in a bass. It was very warm, but dry sounding. I wanted JUICY! Now I got it.

7. Sorry JC, I forgot, No- I only have a MM5 that I had the frets pulled on, and my F. I'm all done for now- no more gear!! And so she wandered through the door-way, Just like a shadow from the tomb. She said her stereo was four-way, An' I'd just love it in her room.. FZ

8. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Me so sorry!
    I thought you were in Columbus...there's a Bob M. who always posts on Bassgear.com from Cowtown...Hey, how's this for a Twilight Zone-like similarity...I got my undergrad at UMass Amherst as a Music Major....yikes!!
    If anyone out there has a possible trade, email me!

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Does it exist any four string F basses at all? :confused:

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    they are custom option, but he will do it if you ask him to. I have seen 2 or 3 F four string. Georde is a nice guy by the way, I used to own a F fretless, and i had to talk to him a couple of times, a really nice guy.

[Edited by Yvon on 01-08-2001 at 09:46 AM]

11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    jacochops, I converted to 5 strings about 2 years ago, and found it pretty easy (BTW, I got my BN5 Studio last week). Why not just use the B string as a thumb rest until you find time to get used to it?

While we are on the Fbass topic, does Fbass offer an 18v. option? If so, has anybody done an A/B against the 9v, and what was the cost?

[Edited by Thumper on 01-08-2001 at 09:58 AM]

12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

13. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Yvon, I am normally hesitant to contact the Furlanettos or Sadowskys of the world if I can find the info elsewhere, especially this close to NAAM. However, if I don't get any response within a few days, I will take your advice.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Jacochops -

An alternative to trading with an individual is to consider contacting a dealer. I just happened to be at Bass Central Friday afternoon, and they had a 4 string F bass (in addition to numerous other options, such as Fodera and Lakland) there (sadly I don't remember which model or any particulars). I'm sure that they'd be happy to at least discuss a possible trade with you, as they're all 3 (Beaver, Scott/Grasshopper, and Mark) great guys, very helpful and patient. You can contact them via e-mail through their website ( http://www.basscentral.com ) or by phone at: (800) 545-8813. No I'm not an employee or anything, just a happy customer/hanger-outer.

15. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    They're Great. I was also there last friday (heh, wierd, didn't see you Gard ;) and I was talking with Mark about getting a combo.
    Beaver, Mark and Scott are all great guys and they treat you like a person, not a statistic in sales. They don't try and swindle you and they're very patient :)

So, give Bass Central a try, they're great. I'm probably gonna get a Eden CXC 2x10 from em and a Warwick Streamer Stage II 5 soon.

and yes, they do have that F bass 4 stringer.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    DRC -

Long time no see! Hey dude we're neighbors now, I moved back since you were last around here. I was there around 2-3pm friday, buggin' Grasshopper about the NS double bass I ordered, tryin' to find out when it was gonna get here...he just called me this afternoon, it's not gonna be here until mid-Feb at the earliest UGH :(. We otta plan on meeting there one day, I try to stop in at least once a week, just to hang and bug 'em a bit....get some fingerprints on the cool basses ;). Drop me a line, lemme know what's up...