Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F Bass anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MtnGoat, Jan 14, 2002.

1. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I'm looking for a 6 string fretless bass that has a modern sound and that also is lightweight and highly playable. Has anybody played the F bass 6ers and, if not, can you recommend an excellent fretless 6? I like the string spacing at the bridge to be about 17mm and a 35" scale. thanks
    Digs

2. The only fretless 6 I have played is an F bass, a BNF6. It has a 34.5" scale and 19mm string spacing. It had a really woody and growly sound, and the 28 fret neck was really smooth, though quite wide, which I prefer. I also like the ceruse finishon the ash body and the ebony fretboard was really nice. In the price range of this bass I haven't played other fretless 6 strings, though I am sure there are plenty of people here who will be able to give theirs.

Geoff

3. Well,
    I'm horribly prejudiced, But the only other fretless bass I would thirst after, would be a custom Fodera, I own a Alain Caron 6, and a custom BN-6, and I can find no fault with either.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Rob Elrick makes excellent fretlesses, including semihollow bodies.

Zons are too shabby either;)

5. I second all of the advice above but would like to add one to the list. I would check out a Roscoe 6 string fretless with a diamondwood board. If you the means, I do suggest getting one. It is so choice. ;)

-Chris

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    F Basses are excellent fretli, but I don't know that I'd characterize them as 'modern' sounding. Almost all the F fretless are passive, as far as I can tell. In my experience they are more 'classic' sounding, like a well-seasoned Jazz bass. More of a traditional vintage tone. As far as playability, they are top-notch. Wonderful basses.

For a modern 'hi-fi' tone with plenty o' mwah, I find the Pedulla Buzz basses (they make a hex model) & Zon's to fit the bill.
    I've played fretli by Wal, Lakland, and Musicman that were pretty nice; but I'm not sure about the availability of 6'ers in those brands.

Hope ya find something special.