Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F Bass BFN5 & shop visit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Jun 4, 2004.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Hey all,
    I had a chance to swing into F Bass today as I was only 10 min from their shop for a buisness trip.
    Let me say that Sara & Dan are both top notch people. George wasn't in but they gave me a quick little tour of their shop and such. It was a blast to see stacks of wood ready for bodies, necks and fingerboards. As well as rough cut bodies and necks waiting for various jobs to be done on them.
    To answer another thread's question about weather F Bass uses CNC for their bodies and necks, not at all. I watched one of their guys hand carving a neck right in front of me.

Also, played a BNF5 that they have, it freakin' kicks ass!! Well, better yet, it's an ass kicker!!!!!
    I WILL be ordering a BNF5 soon. FYI, the one I played was sunburst and used for $2199.

I'll post up some other thoughts later.
    Now, onward to Cleveland this weekend. (for work-yuk!)

2. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I just bought a Bn5 from Bass Atlanta and I love it. It feels like a keeper. The tone is great.

3. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I completely concur. The F-Basses are amazing instruments. We just received a Maple Burl BN5 today that absolutely floored me in its sound, look and feel. Kudos to George!

4. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Sounds like a great visit Mike!

Joel, I bought a used Emperor 5 with Chesnut top from you about
    3 years ago. Man it was a great bass.

I just checked out the Burl Maple BN5 on The Groove Shoppe web
    site. I have a BN5 with a Burl Maple top that is REAL close
    to the one you guys have at the Shoppe. But mine has a killer Flamed Maple F/B. Fantastic bass.... I really love it! :D

Dan

5. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Bass7755,
    I remember that Emperor. It had a great, lightweight Mahogany body that always sounded wonderful! I miss that one...

I'd love to check out a picture of your BN5. The flamed maple board sounds great; This one has a birdseye board that looks fantatic.

6. Hi Mike
    Sounds like a cool visit, you didn't happen to see a spalt topped BN6 while you were there?

7. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    Joel,

That is a fantastic bass. I was thinking of purchasing it several weeks ago when I first heard about it.

That one is a keeper for sure. Add it to your arsenal. Don't sell it.

8. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Believe me I would love to add it to the family. The problem is if I keep adding basses to the "family", I'll be looking for a new family because my wife will throw me out!

Seriously though, the thought did cross my mind. ;)

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Oh come on, Joel. You know that you have to have that F Bass. It's taunting you....taunt, taunt.... :) Everybody should have an F Bass. I thought that it was manditory.

Even the dealer get GAS! I could never be a dealer. Heck I can't hardly sell my stuff to get something new. I bond with my basses and they are like family.

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Great review and opportunity, Mike. I'd really love to meet George. And I really like to see how they produce the ceruse finish.

F Bass is still fairly small for a CNC machine. It's kinda tough to justify the cost of such an expensive machine unless you are producing several thousand basses a year.

11. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Jerry, you don't know how right you are! Every time a new bass comes through here I find myself dreaming up justifications for owning one. The urge was too strong in some cases: I've recently acquired an MTD, an NYBW (New York Bass Works), and now I'm thinking seriously about keeping an F for myself as well!

I do realize though that I'm in a very fortunate place to be able to check out all of these fine basses and amplifiers and really learn the strengths of each of them. Life is good! :hyper:

12. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Sorry Hex, didn't see your bass.

An interesting "inside" veiwpoint I got from Dan and Sara at F Bass about exotic wood tops.

It seems that they notice non-exotic wood topped basses are more consistant in sounding good vs. exotic topped ones.

The exotic wood topped ones (spalted etc.) either sound great or not so great more so than standard ones. Standard basses according to them are much more consistant. Go figure :meh:

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I have been telling customers this for months.

14. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    You've got to figure that beside that pretty top is a layer of glue. And the tone of most glues suck.

15. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Ya know something Adrain, I agreed with them on the whole exotic wood tops thing.
    I've played enough high end stuff to notice that the ones with exotic tops don't always sound as nice as their non-topped counterparts.
    It wasn't until Sara said it (and maybe it helped that she worked there) that it really sank in.

16. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Well, yeah. Then the filler that they have to use in some cases to fill in the grain.

I'm not saying that exotic tops across the board are bad, but a fungus infected wood may look cool, but compared to it's natural figured cousin, it doesn't always sound as nice.

F Bass did just get a vacume press to allow them to use thinner laminates for tops, to lessen the effects on the sound of the main body wood.

And now that I think about it, most of the guys you see in mags and such don't have these crazy exotic topped basses as their main ones. Just standard proven tone woods.
    No crazy ass spalted crotch Hungrian Bubinga thingie, just good ol' ash/alder and some basic quilted/flammed maple.
    I guess there are others as well (mahogany, koa and such) but nothing too crazy.
    Is there something they aren't telling us?!? :eyebrow:

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    the F bass does use a thinner than usual top for this reason. The exotic topped F basses I have played all sounded great, but there was a little extra something in the all Ash ones. That is not to take away from the lure of a pretty top, i am guilty as sin.

18. Gee Whiz,
    I just dropped my "nut" on an exotic topped BN6, in fact a spalted top and this is the first I''ve heard about this, I am a little worried about the tone, what are you guys doing to an old man?

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    John, Maple tops ALWAYS sound great. and my buckeye was outstanding tonally. Don't worry, it will be smokin! and its really something that can only be heard in a quiet controlled situation. Hey, call me , i need to speak to you- peace, A

20. not sure I would want to be "dan" or "sara" at the next exotic top shop inter-office session at F-Bass :bag: