Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F bass BN5, Please Provide Your Comments...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, Jul 17, 2001.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm checking out an F Bass BN5. What are your personal comments on this bass's tone, playability, and ability to hold value?

The bass that I'm looking at has a maple neck, ash body, all lacquer finish.

Also, what's the difference between the BN5 model and a Studio model? The website just says that the Studio has a bigger bottom. Why is that?

Thanks

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The body design on the Studio is different.

The other difference is it's 20 frets (instead of 22).

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I think the F's are great. A friend of mine has several and he's let me play them at shows and for recordings. They have a very deep and full tone. Live they cut through and really fill up any space. I think the preamp is the best out there. Playability couldn't be better. I used to have a Lakland 5 that played great. I think the F plays equally well or better. As far as holding value, nothing is holding value right now. Watch ebay and see what things are going for. People are practically having to give things away. Fair Market value on most things used to be around half of list price. Now you're lucky to get a third. It's crazy. When I buy another bass it will be an F and I don't really care if it will hold it's value because I don't buy to resell. I couldn't imagine ever wanting to get rid of an F. If you wnat, I have a friend who owns a music store and he carries F's. He has a sweet natural ash bodied BN5 that I'm sure I can get you an incredible deal on, much less than I've seen them advertised for, and it's new. Let me know and good luck.

4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    gfb, based upon gear (and posts) our experiences are similiar. I had a very short experience with a Studio 5 (green ceruse, one of Ira's collection). I could never get used to the body style. It was wonderful for sitting down practice. More growl than anything I else have. My only complaint was the weight, 9.5-10lbs. That isn't where I want a bass to be (9lbs or less), so I traded towards another Roscoe. My feeling in general is that the Studio is intentionally built to be a little more substantial as Fbasses are reputed to be light. The guy I traded to (zonwon) was having problems moving the SKB3005 Roscoe, but he sold the Fbass very quickly, so there must be a strong market.

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    F basses do move quickly if priced right. They're still on my short list. Hey Peter, where's that Ash bass?;)

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Hey Brad. It's in North Carolina. If you're interested let me know and I'll see if I can't get a pic and a price.

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thank you very much

8. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I currently have a used BN5 for sale. E-mail me (ldroby@ma.ultranet.com) if you are interested.

Thanks,
    LeonD