Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F Bass BN5 Price Check

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lefty007, Feb 25, 2006.

1. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    How much should I be paying for a brand-new F Bass BN5?

I usually think that dealers mark down prices around 30% off the retail price list - but on F Basses, I'm finding that the actual price is only around 18% off the retail price list.

:help:

2. George sets a lower limit to how much dealers can discount from list. I'm not sure what it is, but I would imagine that most dealers discount the maximum.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Edit: Removed price out of consideration for George. What those 2 said. He's stirct w/ his dealers on pricing.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    +1 on what Geoff said. I have been told that by a couple of different dealers, that George F is quite strict about his pricing.

5. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I agree with what has been stated.
    I don't think you will find any new BN5 less than 20% under list.

6. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yes, thanks. Yes, you don't have to reveal exactly how much your paid for your bass and whom you bought it from - I just wanted to get a feel for what a fair price should be. I usually see that the discounts are from 25 to 35%.

Man, I have to say I kindq like the approach that Sadowsky and Ken Smith have - one price for all.

7. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    As everyone has said, George set's the Max Discount price

And, the amount of that discount may change as you go from a production bass to a custom shop.

Production bass = standard wood, no top, standard colors. You start talking tops etc .....

George and his dealers are selling every bass made these day's. I talked to him the other day. There is only one bass (a lefty) in the shop. All that being said........

8. :D No it is now sold to atlanta bass gallery!