Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F Bass BN5...Studio differences

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Is anyone able to elaborate on the differences between the F Bass BN5 and the Studio model?. This is would be besides what is found on the F Bass website.

The website says that the the Studio has 2 less frets and seems to indicate that the neck and body are different.

2. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Jerry,
    Being an F-Bass dealer, I get to fondle LOTS of them! The differences are;
    1.Studio..20 frets, BN-5..22 frets
    2.Slightly different body styles to accomidate the different necks
    3.Slightly more mass in the Studio, for more low end
    4. Studio's are usually slightly heavier (still under 10 pounds!)
    5. The way the Studio is set up, when it sits on your lap, your fretting hand "feels" like it's playing a Fender. It's neck is positionally the same.
    Hope that helps!
    GEEK

3. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks for the rundown. :)

So actually, to the untrained eye they would appear to be very similar. It is mostly a feel with a more solid bottom, in tone.

As far as tone the Studio would be more like a Fender and the BN5 would be more like an...F Bass?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have a Studio 5 and can highly recommend it for someone looking for a super Jazz vibe plus a lot more.

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yep Brad, that Studio of yours sure is a beauty. I really like George's ceruse finishes. I especially like the white. The 'bursts aren't shabby either. ;)

6. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    They edge out the standard BN5 with more bottom end. To me they sound better.

7. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Own a studio 5 and love the tones possibility that it can give. I play gospel and it fit in perfectly. Good lows and the mids are on the money.

8. Does F Bass still make the Studio models? I see most of these thread posts were from 2002.

9. bass4worship

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Yes they can do it for if you ask for it. Wait time might be longer.

10. bass4worship

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    If really looking for one I got one in great condition. It the one in my Avatar. Can no longer play so I'm selling.

11. Sorry, I'm not looking to buy one. I was just asking because I hadn't noticed a Studio category on the F Bass website. I guess it's just a build-upon-request item.

12. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm not a perfect person to answer because I haven't owned any BN5s; I have played multiples of course. I have owned a Studio and two BNF5s though. I thought the Studio punched through a bit more in the low-mid region, but still had the smooth and deep F bass vibe overall. It was my favorite F bass I owned, and the person who bought it from me agreed. Still, my Studio was alder/ebony...it would have been nice to do a direct A/B with an ash/maple (no top), which seems to be my favorite construction of BN5.