Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F-Bass BN5 vs F-Bass Studio

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Nov 9, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Does anyone know the differences between these two F-Bass models. The Studio has two less frets and is discontinued. Anyone ever play them both?

JB

[​IMG]

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, I have both. There's no obvious difference except for the extra frets. My Studio has the old style preamp (with the tone balance control), but that's 'cause I bought it in '91 or so. Both BN5's have the newer 6-knob electronics (which IMHO is a much better preamp). Also the older pickups are a little different, a little noisier and with a slightly different sound. If you get a BN5, try to get the one with the reversed headstock (I've heard it called the "New York Model", I don't know why though). The string balance is greatly improved in this version.

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Is this one with a reverse headstock?

[​IMG]

4. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes it sure is. That's a beautiful cerruse!

5. i've played both..

the studio sounded more old schoolish to me. also, i believe the neck was a little thicker on the studio if my memory serves me correctly. both are very nice basses.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i'll try to clarify something-
    the New York model is Jimmy Coppolo's ( NY guitar and bass boutique) request for a reverse HEADSTOCK, meaning the shape is reversed and the tuning pegs are laid out 3 + 2-
    the ceruse pictured has reverse TUNERS , not headstock- the shape of the headstock is standard,
    the reverse headstock as in the new York model is only aestheticlly different - the advantage is in the reverse TUNERS because the lo b is extended ( much like Fodera does on some models) so, all new F basses are coming with the 3 + 2 tuner layout. But only the NY model has a different shape- they are the same tuner layout.. confused yet??
    that said, i must add kudos to Jimmy Coppolo for suggesting the tuner layout.. which George F has adopted for all his basses-
    again , the ceruse pictured has the newer tuner layout thus offering the better lo b advantage- buying a NY model will yield the same layout, different shape-
    there are some people who prefer the studio because it is somewhat more traditional, maybe little fatter ( like a bn5 NEEDS to be fatter!!)
    Brad Johnson , for example, i believe likes his studio best, as does Larry Keller, who is the owner of the ceruse- he is selling because he has the same bass in a studio model
    me, myslef, i am so thrilled with my bn5 , i wouldn't change a thing!!

7. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I finally got my hands on some Fbasses not too long ago and two were non-studio (BN-5,Bn-6) and the other was a studio.

I agree with cephas45's assement.

P.S.: Adrian you got a PM bro.

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    NYGB BASS:

From the NYGB site, "F-Bass NYGB Model: This is what a high-end should feel and sound like. This is the bass that Jimmy designed and is sold solely at the Boutique. Changes made from the standard F Bass BN5 include: reversing the headstock which means that the B & E string tuners are a bit further from the nut making them tighter and more defined. Also the profile of the back of the neck is rounder than the standard model, is a one piece maple neck (rather than 3) and has smaller, vintage-style frets for more snap and better intonation. This beautiful bass in an elegant champagne finish has a 34 1/2" scale length and white ash body. The NY model normally has a body made of hard ash but we tried something different for this particular piece. From what we can tell, this leads to a bit more focus and clarity to the notes."

[​IMG]

9. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Now THAT is all kinds of classy:eek:

10. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
  12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Is this really a NYGB model? The headstock is not reversed. :meh:

[​IMG]

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    THAT is just gorgeous!!!!

14. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    This looks nice also. ;)

[​IMG]

15. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    ooooo very nice!:D

16. but its only got 4 strings. :eek: :bassist:

17. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    But it has the reversed tuners. :D

18. i'm not used to seeing 4 strings on something like an F bass. that's why i commented :)

normally you expect to see a fender p or something with the 4 tuners there, you know? i think the bulk of the F basses i've seen have all been BN5's. that's a nice one though, you gonna buy it?

19. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I'm considering one like this:

[​IMG]

20. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Adrian, thanks for pointing that out. I guess I have the "reversed tuner" model you mentioned. Here's a pic of a couple of mine, an old one and a new one.