1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

F-Bass BN5 vs F-Bass Studio

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Nov 9, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Does anyone know the differences between these two F-Bass models. The Studio has two less frets and is discontinued. Anyone ever play them both?

JB

[​IMG]

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, I have both. There's no obvious difference except for the extra frets. My Studio has the old style preamp (with the tone balance control), but that's 'cause I bought it in '91 or so. Both BN5's have the newer 6-knob electronics (which IMHO is a much better preamp). Also the older pickups are a little different, a little noisier and with a slightly different sound. If you get a BN5, try to get the one with the reversed headstock (I've heard it called the "New York Model", I don't know why though). The string balance is greatly improved in this version.

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Is this one with a reverse headstock?

[​IMG]

4. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes it sure is. That's a beautiful cerruse!

5. i've played both..

the studio sounded more old schoolish to me. also, i believe the neck was a little thicker on the studio if my memory serves me correctly. both are very nice basses.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i'll try to clarify something-
    the New York model is Jimmy Coppolo's ( NY guitar and bass boutique) request for a reverse HEADSTOCK, meaning the shape is reversed and the tuning pegs are laid out 3 + 2-
    the ceruse pictured has reverse TUNERS , not headstock- the shape of the headstock is standard,
    the reverse headstock as in the new York model is only aestheticlly different - the advantage is in the reverse TUNERS because the lo b is extended ( much like Fodera does on some models) so, all new F basses are coming with the 3 + 2 tuner layout. But only the NY model has a different shape- they are the same tuner layout.. confused yet??
    that said, i must add kudos to Jimmy Coppolo for suggesting the tuner layout.. which George F has adopted for all his basses-
    again , the ceruse pictured has the newer tuner layout thus offering the better lo b advantage- buying a NY model will yield the same layout, different shape-
    there are some people who prefer the studio because it is somewhat more traditional, maybe little fatter ( like a bn5 NEEDS to be fatter!!)
    Brad Johnson , for example, i believe likes his studio best, as does Larry Keller, who is the owner of the ceruse- he is selling because he has the same bass in a studio model
    me, myslef, i am so thrilled with my bn5 , i wouldn't change a thing!!

7. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I finally got my hands on some Fbasses not too long ago and two were non-studio (BN-5,Bn-6) and the other was a studio.

I agree with cephas45's assement.

P.S.: Adrian you got a PM bro.

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    NYGB BASS:

From the NYGB site, "F-Bass NYGB Model: This is what a high-end should feel and sound like. This is the bass that Jimmy designed and is sold solely at the Boutique. Changes made from the standard F Bass BN5 include: reversing the headstock which means that the B & E string tuners are a bit further from the nut making them tighter and more defined. Also the profile of the back of the neck is rounder than the standard model, is a one piece maple neck (rather than 3) and has smaller, vintage-style frets for more snap and better intonation. This beautiful bass in an elegant champagne finish has a 34 1/2" scale length and white ash body. The NY model normally has a body made of hard ash but we tried something different for this particular piece. From what we can tell, this leads to a bit more focus and clarity to the notes."

[​IMG]

9. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Now THAT is all kinds of classy:eek:

10. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
  12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Is this really a NYGB model? The headstock is not reversed. :meh:

[​IMG]

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    THAT is just gorgeous!!!!

14. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    This looks nice also. ;)

[​IMG]

15. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    ooooo very nice!:D

16. but its only got 4 strings. :eek: :bassist:

17. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    But it has the reversed tuners. :D

18. i'm not used to seeing 4 strings on something like an F bass. that's why i commented :)

normally you expect to see a fender p or something with the 4 tuners there, you know? i think the bulk of the F basses i've seen have all been BN5's. that's a nice one though, you gonna buy it?

19. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I'm considering one like this:

[​IMG]

20. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Adrian, thanks for pointing that out. I guess I have the "reversed tuner" model you mentioned. Here's a pic of a couple of mine, an old one and a new one.