F Bass BN6 vs. Modulus Q6 (ANGUS?! KA-TET?!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by G, Jul 20, 2001.

1. G

Apr 12, 2000
    A quandry: Bass Northwest has an absolutely beautiful F Bass BN6 in their used stock. Its even a good price... Now then, what I want to hear are some opinions on whether or not to trade my Modulus Q6 with Barts (pics to be up soon) for the F.

Angus, I know that you are a fellow Modulus lover, and I know you spend a bit of time at Bass Northwest. DO you have any insights?

Ka-tet, I also know that you own several F basses. What, if anything do you have to say about this idea?

Here's the F:

http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/fbass_bn6_amber.htm

I will have pics up of My Q6 by tomorrow.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Based on the BN's I've played in the past, that BN6 is probably going to work as described...a Jazz bass on steroids (a serious 70's Jazz bass/Marcus Miller type thing), with lots of versatility ...and a 6 string Jazz bass to boot;). I like them, a lot.

I like Moduli with Barts but I'd take the F over the Q. That has no bearing on what you'll do, of course:D
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I honestly don't know what to do! I've not been to BassNW in a while now, so I haven't played a lot of the new stock.

It would be a tossup for me...are you looking for hi-fi or more vintage? That's the big difference.

Let's see...your Mod has a wood board, right? Geez, that makes it even harder. Yikes...I honestly don't know! Modulus, for my hands, makes one of the most comfortable 6 strings, and if it had a wood board and barts, I'd probably keep it. But that's just me. I also am not a big fan of an all ash body, which is what that is, correct?

Really, it comes down to vintage vs. hi-fi...sort of. Modulus with wood board isn't totally hi-fi, but F bass isn't exactly vintage, either! Get it? I wish I could say I'd go and try the basses out for you, but I don't know if I have the time...and I don't want to make a promise I can't keep. Then again, it would be pretty good driving practice...
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i spend some time at bass nw....but i'm more of a fender guy. :D
  5. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Well, I called Bass Northwest (from work!) only to find out that the F has been sold. That and they would have gladly traded the F and a couple packs of strings and an F Bass strap for my Q6. I guess they are big on Modulus there.

I was going to have them ship the bass out to me and then have a nice head to head comparison. I had it all played out in my head... I was going to take them both to my prog rock gig AND my jazz gig.

Oh well, I guess that I am just stuck with my Modulus for now. ;)
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Fate makes things easy for indecisive people...especially like me!

Sounds good though, can't go wrong with the Modulus! In some way, I'd like to get another, but a wood-boarded OB6 with Lane Poors, but those are hard to find. That Zon 6 is pretty nice, too...