1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

F-Bass BN6 vs. MTD 635

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve K, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I've been having a very difficult time trying to decide between purchasing an F-Bass BN6 or an MTD 635. I'm currently in the market for a used 6 string and I've boiled it down to these two choices. I was having terrible F-Bass gas not too long ago and I was searching forever to find one but then all of the sudden I started having MTD gas. The MTD gas still hasn't gone away but I can't find a used one even though I'm constantly searching for one. Just recently though, I found a used F-Bass BN6 that I can't decide whether to buy or not. If I do buy this one, I could regret it and still want an MTD but if I don't buy it, I could end up wanting one in the future and not being able to find another used one. Do you think I should go for it and buy the used F-Bass BN6 or should I just keep searching for a used MTD 635? Thanks in advance for your opinions. :D

2. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Oh yeah, BTW, I'm looking for a bass that would sound good playing jazz, funk, fusion, etc. but also have a suitable rock and blues tone.

3. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I think I'm going to go for the F-Bass, what do you think?

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    They are two completely different basses and design philsophies.

All I can show you is what I have:

[​IMG][/img]

That would be my choice! :D

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Both are fantastic basses, but IMO sound very different. I had an Fbass and sold it when I got my MTD 635. The Fbass has a very nice jazz bass type tone to my ears, but I found the body style uncomfortable. The MTD has a very modern, sparkly tone with killer lows. Both basses are at the top of the class, and it is really going to come down to personal preference. I can see either bass doing what you need very well.

6. Agreed, two completely different basses. I had an F-Bass once and it was a great bass, there is really nothing like it. I have played an MTD and it was great, but I did not get a bunch of time to mess with it. I think the MTD is more versitile, but the F-Bass plays better. Regardless, you are going to have an awesome bass.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    You live in Canada, right? I'd imagine it is probably easier to get your hands on an Fbass to try out?

8. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Does your bass have a mahogany body and maple fingerboard? How do you like the wood combo? Could you describe the tone?

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    No, its an unusual MTD - mine has a chambered alder body, a wenge neck and a maple fingerboard. It has a very broad sound with a killer slap tone. It doesn't have that super high end that wenge / wenge necks are renowned for, but its still got big highs that the maple mellows out a little. I love the fingerstyle tone too, you can get a nice mellow P sound or a cutting geddy like tone from the bridge pickup. Its a pretty good all-rounder, but I haven't gig tested it and I know a few people have complained that the chambered bodies don't sit well in a mix because their sonic signature is pretty wide.

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    This BN6 you are looking at, is it ash/maple? If so, and you are a slapper, I would recommend that over the MTD. The 34.5" scale, as well as an ash/maple wood combo, would make for a killer funk/fusion bass. An MTD with a mahogany body (like mine :D) makes for a killer fingerstyle tone and sounds better to me in a more jazz fusion setting. It is tight and pristine sounding, but I prefer the bounce I get when slapping from an ash/maple bass with 34 or 34.5 inch scale.

11. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    The F-Bass I was looking at had an ash body, an ebony fingerboard, and a flamed maple top. I am more of a fingerstyle player but I would like to be able to get a nice slap tone. I'm looking for a very versatile bass as I have a wide range of musical tastes.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I didn't mean to suggest that you couldn't get a nice slap tone from an MTD. The slap tone on my MTD sounds great, but my tonal preferences lean more towards a "marcus miller" tone for slap. However, these days I don't slap much either when playing live. I would think that the BN6 you've found would make a very versatile bass. If you can't find an MTD, but you've been able to find this BN6, I would go with the BN6. Try it out for a while, see if it fits you, and enjoy the process of finding the "perfect bass". If you end up not loving this BN6 after a while, I'm sure you can probably sell it for what you paid for it. Used MTD's and Fbass' seem to hold their value pretty well, that is if you bought it used to begin with.

13. Do you like apple pie or pumpkin pie? Sure, both pies, but oh so different.

14. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I was just wondering how much you guys think would be a reasonable price for a used 2007 F-Bass BN6 with an ebony board, an ash body, and a flamed maple top. I just want to see if the price for the bass is reasonable. Also, do you think I could sell the bass for the same price if i wanted to sell it later.

15. TheIrishOx

TheIrishOx

Feb 22, 2008
    Illinois
    They're both great basses all I have to say is go on mtds website and look up mike tobias's number and give him a call on what kind of woods match the tone you want, and what he describes check and see if the f bass has some of those qualities. I know that f bass dont have bart pick ups and preamp, but that is all I have to say cause the rest is up to you.

16. I'd expect around 25-30% off street price. Find out how much they cost new by talking to a dealer or checking out the price list. Keep in mind though, that F-Bass might have a long wait for new instruments which could help inflate used prices a bit.

17. ivlucas

ivlucas Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Thomasville, GA