Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F Bass BN6 with Pearl Inlays/Neck Binding?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brandonwong, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Birdseye Fingerboard

59 vote(s)
    68.6%
  2. Pearl Block Inlay

9 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Pearl Block Inlay & White Binding along neck

18 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Hey guys,

I'm ordering a custom BN6 and can't decide which to go for.
    With binding or pearl inlays or juz plain birdeye fingerboard.

I've attached some photoshop-ed files of it.
    Gimme your comments. And yes, that's the exact maple spalted/quilt top I'm having with caramel burst.

Attached Files:

2. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    With both Pearl Blocks & White Binding (Like a 70s Fender)

Attached Files:

3. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    one vote for no blocks / no binding :)

4. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Seems like most people like it plain.
    I kinda like the pearl blocks becos its not the usual F Bass vibe.
    So that its special and has a fusion look of my 77" Fender.

Hmmm... How can it be different but nice?

5. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'd have to say with the birdseye you have on there (it looks flamed to me btw), its very busy as it is so no need for the blocks.

6. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    With both Pearl Blocks & White Binding AND birdseye

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Straight Up Birdseye ! :bassist:

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    a word about flame maple boards- i have played an F with one and the grain ran in the same direction as the frets ( of course ) and it used to give me headaches sometimes because it had a weird optical effect- maybe it's just me, but it really made it difficult to focus- with a birdseye, there is no problem. It would be cool to get b-eye and the blocks and binding i guess ( i will add up , though $$$ )
    bottom line, i say b-eye - i save the blocks and binding for a jazz style bass

9. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    The one in the pic is not birdseye. I jus ripped it off a normal BN6 and put on the colors and inlays.

So Adrian, are you saying if $ is not an issue... the inlays would be cool to have on? Birdseye with block inlays? BTW, i love your mac ebony with birdseye. And welcome home!

Praise the Lord!

10. The blocks look pretty cool. Different. The binding looks horrible in my opinion. Way way way out of place on that bass. I'd just keep it nude and as bright/white a slab as you can get.

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Based on the two photos that you've posted, I'd have to go with "no blocks", but that's just my personal taste in this particular instance. ;)

12. I think that blocks w/o binding is the way to go here.

13. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I vote for straight-up birdseye. Blocks and binding is really expensive for a feature that really isn't contributing to the overall feel and sound.

As for birdseye and flamed, I have both. The flame board runs parallel with the frets as Adrian said. I don't have an issue with it at all.

I was actually contemplating white binding and blocks before I bought my BN5 because I saw this:

[​IMG]

It looks great with a satin natural finish, but with an exotic top, I'm not so sure.

14. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    hmm let me see here .... :hyper:

15. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    +1. That would be what I would go for. I'm a sucker for blocks and binding.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i saved my blocks and binding jones for this one, which i decided to keep-
    played it on a gig last night- i was surprised the F bass stayed in the gig bag all night, I guess in was in that kinda mood ...

[​IMG]

17. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I love that one Adrian. Under different circumstances that would have been mine. I'm glad you're getting enjoyment out of it.

18. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    I personally like blocks and binding..and like them on FBasses to...blocks look best to me when they are contrasting with the fretboard ie pearl blocks on darker boards and black on maple boards like Adrian's above.

Also, about flame boards..remember that having blocks on those boards may help with the visual distraction of the grain incase you may think you'll have that problem.

Adrian..a little off topic for a sec....is that is a Lull? I'm guessing.......never was able to back to back on them directly..any thoughts?

Mitch

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Mitch, it's a Turtle Special !
    ( Warmoth )
    i spec'ed it out to go with the all black i have to wear on gigs 99% of the time. ;)
    Interestingly, your old Celinder, which i had here for a couple of days, was an inspiration in that i got the neck 100% glossed including the fingerboard and there is some birdseye to it ( Mitch's old Celinder, was a gorgeous bass ) too bad when i got it from Steve, it needed a fret job and was quite heavy. i returned it because of that. But i have always had a thing for a 70's style j bass.
    Lulls are great, very articulate, take a great setup and play very easily. They vary depending on what pups and pre you get, suit to taste.
    This little Warmoth has the J retro deluxe and i love the flexibility. Does the Marcus thang and the bridge pickup thang nicely. I have a new set of DiMarzio ultra jazz pups on the way , becausefor some reason, the a string is softer than all the rest. :confused:
    I had a lot of fun with it on a gig yesterday, and it was a jazz trio thing, very little slapping, except when we got a little funky on some Christmas tunes..
    Back to F bass, i do prefer the b-eye thing without blocks after all. I was lucky to get an exceptional board from our man George.
    Still my #1 bass !
    [​IMG]

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    it could have something to do with my psychedelic youth :eyebrow:
    seriously, the flamed board would freak me out if i looked too long-
    " which is the flame and which is the fret?? "