Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F Bass BNF 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, May 30, 2004.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Anyone have one???
    Thoughts, concerns, comments, dirty remarks???
    I played one quite a while back and from what I remember it was pretty ass kickin'.
    I'm moving my Warwick Thumb fretless n/t 5 and was thinking of jumping into one of these.
    The Thumb is sweet (I'm gonna regret selling it, I know I will), but I'm lookig for something a little different, but still with lotsa growl and mwah, something the Thumb has for days. But not too upright-ie if you will. I dig that Jaco type tone.

Here's another crazy thing. It's down to the classic BNF5 sunburst (like the one on the front page of the F Bass web site), or the trans blue (like one on the model page).
    www.fbass.com

Also, show me your BNF5's if ya got some pics. Still open in the finish dept!!

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I have a natural finish neck-through BNF6. It's in the studio at the moment so I can't post a pic right now, but will do so later if I get a chance. It's a superb instrument. It's the passive version, with the V/V/T arrangement. It's a little wierd inside the cavity though, there are two dummy soapbar pickups mounted at right angles to the real ones, INSIDE the cavity! Don't think George does this anymore, but at the time (when I got it, in 1994), it was used for hum reduction. I've never had any problems recording this bass, it sounds absolutely stunning in the mix. All kinds of growl, and a really sweet lead tone from that ebony fingerboard. In a nutshell, a totally awesome instrument.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  4. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

Oh man, this is getting tough. I was leaning towards the blue. But you had to open your mouth!

I think a poll might be in order here!

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I've played F basses in the shop and at friend's houses etc for the last few years and I always realized that they were well made great sounding instruments. I had an interesting experience last night though: My main bass (Ash/Maple Fodera Emperor 5) was having some fret work done and I needed a bass to take to my gig that could do both fingerstyle and slap sounds effectively. I grabbed the F-bass 5 string that we have at the shop and took it with me - feeling pretty confident that it would be "passable". Well, not only was it "passable", but it was amazing. During soundcheck the drummer looked over at me and said "that bass sounds huge" (this from a guy who barely notices anything beyond the perimeter of his kit). The rest of the band concurred. I loved the fact that the bass is light weight and extremely versatile. The F's also feel very comfortable to play - likely due in part to the 34.5" scale.

Anyway, the moral of the story - battle conditions are the true test for me, and the F-bass surpassed my expectations and left me wondering "why don't I own one of these things". That should change soon... ;)

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Joel, i agree 1000% - i have been using several basses on some road gigs recently, and "returned" to my F bass BN5 last night for a show in Providence. Man, that bass just fits. Great slap and fingertone, right there, no searching at all. Not to take away form Fodera, I have owned 2. But I can say, God willing, I will ALWAYS have an F bass on hand . They fit me to a T . Good to hear you dug it..

7. Dude! you were in providence without giving the New England crew the heads up?! Shame on you!! :scowl:

;) :D

By the way, i love the F bass feel. I got the chance to play with one for a little while when i visited Bass Central back in january. I plugged it into an eden/aggie rig with the EQ set flat on the amp and it just was perfect right on. Just the perfect sound without playing around with it. I loved them.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you know, i posted the Orlando and Atlanta gigs on OT- and got little response, so i skipped the Providence gig, sorry!! i did get to meet a bassist from the area named Tom Brinkley- he is a memeber on another forum.. next time, i will gove you heads up!- peace, A

9. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    FBass is a mainstay for me for tone, feel and versatility....I will not be without one BN5.. at least. It just seems to do whatever I need a bass to do and do it well....its very seductive to have a bass that you have to work at getting a bad tone from..the natural sound of the instrument IMO is just all around great...including in a mix- not just playing alone in a store or at home.

go for it ...and the sunburst is my vote

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This is my favorite color. My buddy calls it the bowling ball bass. :D

My second choice is the 'burst.

11. One of the coolest things about an F is the reaction that it gets from people who usually ignore the bass and it's player. Soundmen love it, Last month I actually had an engineer spend about 30 minutes just researching the possibilities of tone on the bass, I smell work.

12. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Exactly right. Out of the box, the F-basses just feel and sound wonderful. Like I said, I always knew they were good, I just didn't know that they were this good. I see F-bass as a perfect complement to the basses I play regularly. I'll never part with my Fodera's because the ones that I own are absolute bass perfection, but I'm always on the lookout for another "color" (as they say). Kudos for George for getting it right (and pricing it right!) - he could easily charge a bit more for these basses and still be in line with other high-end builders.

13. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    They are fairly expensive as it is....however completely worth it. The F-Bass just sits right in the mix. Like a great vintage Jazz bass. Really versatile instruments. That said I will never part with my Sadowsky. However, when I start looking for a 5 the F is at the top of the list!

14. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that they weren't expensive but relatively speaking there are other high-end 5's that are comparable in quality yet more expensive.

15. Joel
    a little o/t but have you heard any news on the Fodera rack mount pre? I'd love to hear what it does to a passive fretless F Bass

16. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I played through one at the NAMM show. They sound really good, especially if you like the sound of the Fodera/MP on board pre-amp. They have a similar tone but with a bit more flexibility.

17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I own a BN5 F-Bass that I bought sight unseen and unheard from Adrian at www.accessbass.com. Adrian helpled me custom order it to my specs. (Quilt maple top/birdseye FB) You can see it on the Exotic tops web page on the F Bass site. It is the Cherryburst with Quilt Maple top. Second to last on the page. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

I am so completely blown away by this bass. I can't explain it, but I can exceute some slap style techniques on this bass that I just can't pull off on a Roscoe LG3005 or even my Modulus Quantum 5. Maybe it's the 34.5" scale on the f, or the string spacing, or the shape of the neck. Who knows? It just feels and fits so right. I LOVE everything about the bass. End of story. This is my desert Island bass. If I were stranded on a desert island and could have only one bass, I would choose my F Bass BN5. No question.

18. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    What are the biggest differences tone/sound & feel wise between the BN5 fretless and the BNF 5?
    Besides the obvious like the ebony bridge and the # of frets.

19. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    98% of what you read/hear about the F-Bass BN5 is POSIITVE. I owned this one for several months:

http://community.webshots.com/album/121923928KSZQbG

The F-Bass tone is very, very nice. My primary reason for selling it was that the output volume was to low for the application in which I was using it. I would rate it:

- Tone: A+
    - Feel: A+
    - Balance: A+
    - Finish: B+ (Requires frequent cleaning)
    - Volume: B- (One the low side)
    - Build: A+
    - Every thing else: A+

I talked to another F-Bass owner yesterday and he told me that his F-Bass output was adquate. So I emailed another trusted F-Bass owner who also owns a Sadowsky J-Bass and had him compare the tone and volume of the two. His reply:

"Hi James-The passive mode on my Sadowsky is much hotter than the passive mode on the F Bass.
    In active mode with the F bass, you can get a pretty hot output(if you need it) with the bass/mid/treble boosted
    If I had to compare the tones, I'd say the Sadowsky is more "authentic" Jazz like in the tone(especially with slap tones), but the F Bass SOUNDS like a Jazz bass when the single coil mode is used. The slap sound on the F Bass is more "Hi-Fi"/Vintage sounding to me.
    Tone-wise the F Bass is way more verstile than a Sadowsky and much clearer and more "piano-like" in the lower registers.
    The F Bass definitely sounds like a Jazz bass but with a sweeter, more refined tone."

20. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I talked to another F-Bass owner yesterday and he told me that his F-Bass output was adequate. So I emailed another trusted F-Bass owner who also owns a Sadowsky J-Bass and had him compare the tone and volume of the two. His reply:

"Hi James-The passive mode on my Sadowsky is much hotter than the passive mode on the F Bass.
    In active mode with the F bass, you can get a pretty hot output(if you need it) with the bass/mid/treble boosted
    If I had to compare the tones, I'd say the Sadowsky is more "authentic" Jazz like in the tone(especially with slap tones), but the F Bass SOUNDS like a Jazz bass when the single coil mode is used. The slap sound on the F Bass is more "Hi-Fi"/Vintage sounding to me.
    Tone-wise the F Bass is way more verstile than a Sadowsky and much clearer and more "piano-like" in the lower registers.
    The F Bass definitely sounds like a Jazz bass but with a sweeter, more refined tone."
    [/QUOTE]

Wow! What a great comparison. I always wondered how an F Bass would compare with a Sadowsky. The description above would lead me straight to the F Bass ...which I own and love. The feel and output volume on my BN5 are plenty strong enough. I have tons of headroom in my amp. Not one complaint.