Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F Bass factory, the dream weavers!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by choad42, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Yesterday afternoon I finally made the trip to the F Bass factory here in Ontario, Canada. It was only about an hour's drive from my house. I'm still kicking myself for waiting so damn long to do it. I have been playing bass for over 20 years and I have played many different high end, hand crafted basses so I have a good idea of what is truly high end bass gear as far as comparisons are concerned. Anyways, I have to say that not only was George Fulanetto one of the nicest guys I have ever met, he is also IMHO the most gifted luthier on the planet. The factory tour George thoughtfully took me on showed me in great detail, how the world's most practical luxury basses are crafted. Now personally I find F Basses to be extremely expensive, I am a working bassist after all, however after speaking with George and seeing in person the different stages of the creation process I realised that his very heart and soul and that of his staff are poured into every single instrument they create. Now I understand why there are no low end or budget F Bass models as these are all high-end works of art to varying degrees, this is definitely a case of you get what you pay for and then some. Obviously my first priority was to play a few basses once I arrived at the factory. I tried a used Studio model 5 string which was fantastic and then I played a few brand new BN5s and I have to say they were nothing short of flawless in every regard. This is the first time in my life I have played a 5 string bass that felt cohesive from the B to the G string. My Fender FMT 5's B string more often than not leaves me wanting, but I swear the F Basses that I played were remarkable in response, feel and consistancy, theses basses practically played themselves. As far as the B string issue is concerned, F Bass have answered the question "Does the perfect 5 string bass exist?", you bet your ass it does, just call George. As someone who slaps way too often, I have to admit that the BN5s were like the devil's advocate for me, bottom line these are the most slap friendly basses period! I was two feet off of the ground the entire time I was slapping the BN5s. Good news though, F Basses are also versatile enough that their sound for other styles of playing is equally impressive! The wonderfully practical thing about F Basses though is that the tone can be tamed and made to behave very Fender like, albeit a Fender on steroids! In short, my trip to the F Bass factory was one of the greatest experiences of my life. If anyone is considering a custom made bass that will last a lifetime please do yourself a favour and look into F Bass, the builder of the finest 5 string basses in existence. I have finally found my holy grail as far as basses go, that's for certain.

Cheers,
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=234528

2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Yeah. I don't own one, but they truly are great basses. They were in my top three both times when I bought my basses.

Just start saving. Eat a lot of spagetti.

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i've been down there a couple time sin the last month..

today i picked up some strings...

last time i was there i was jamming on a sweet AC6 being shipped off to russia or something....

also, george has got some sweet basses upstairs...man o man

4. Hey Modny, your absolutely right. Some of the basses going through final assembly upstairs were unreal to say the least! Talk about sensory overload. I saw a few basses up there that were just simply breathtaking, like a gorgeous blueburst. I love how calm and cool George was, meanwhile I was walking around there thinking, holy s#@%!!!!, look at all the F Basses in here! What's the price that George sell's strings for anyways?

Cheers,
    Bassjones

5. Hey,

Congrats lucky guy!
    You nailed it, F Bass are very good....lol
    I would lobe to visit the shop too, later I hope!

I'm owning a BN5 and I think that's a sensationnal bass!
    That's why i'm planning getting a second F Bass....

Bye
    Vince

6. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I couldnt agree more. I bought a BN5 with birdseye maple top and amber-burst finish about a year ago. It's my number one for almost any gig. I really couldnt ask for more from a bass.

F basses are expensive, no doubt, but worth every penny. I've yet to play a bass that rivals my F bass.Even Fodera, which are about double the price, to me seem inferior...

7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    one thing with F basses though, especially with the Labella super steps , i find is you gotta keep new strings on her almost all the time to keep it singing

8. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    On my F bass, i use either Fodera or DR. They last a long time....

I can't stand the tapercore George stocks the basses with...

9. I've need a BN6 guys....donations?

10. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    You didn't happen to see my turqoise ceruse BN5 while you were there did you? It's my second, and I'm trying to be patient... Personally, I think George's basses are a heck of a deal. You can certainly get a lot less for a lot more $.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Definitely amazing instruments. My BN6 is a killer bass.

12. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    +1

I love my BN6 !

13. From what I tried at Fodera, I think they're both amazing basses (even if Fodera is more expensive!) and I would love to own a Fodera after my F and perhaps second F Bass....

Vince

14. Over 2 years with my F-bass AC6 and the "baby" just grows and grows on you...

I have not been able to find a fretless tone with the sort of expressiveness and instrument with the sort of ease of playability the AC6 has to offer.

I couldn't agree with you more on the quality of George's luthiery and his superb formula, combining tonewood-selection, pickup-research and bass construction techniques.

Kind regards,
    Beebebop,
    Beijing.
    :bassist:

15. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    beebebop

i have saved pictures of you and your ac6 on my computer i love it soo much

maybe one day i will get an ac6, but for now, bnf6 does the trick! I LOVE IT

piano like sustain and ring

16. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I too have visted George's shop and it was a terrific experience. George was very gracious and giving of his time and I loved seeing those wood works of art being built. George clearly has forgotten more than I'll ever know about the bass.
    While I didn't wind up buying an FBass it sure fell into the last, very small group I considered, which I call the "You can't make a mistake with any of these " group. I can't imagine anyone buying an FBass and ever having buyers remorse.

17. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I'm thinking about trying to make a trade to the F Bass route, but I'm curious about the 34.5 inch scale. I'd be wanting an unlined fretless (for my first fretless) and I was thinking that might change the learning curve. I was actually going to try and move away from my 35" scale to 34" again, but these things are just tempting!

18. The unlined fretless is not an issue to me....
    I played only unlined one since I start finding ones to play, and i'm going to get a F Bass fretless unlined....Just my own experience!

19. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I enjoy playing unlined boards more, just from me testing basses. But the 34.5" scale I think might throw off my initial feel as to where the fret is supposed to be. I'm sure they're a joy to play, but from going from 34" to 35" and then to 34.5", it's a bit of a learning curve! :p

20. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    For maybe the first week or two, I struggled with the F bass's 35" size. It kind of made my hands hurt and I got tired. However, before I knew it, it felt like home and I was able to play things I never could have before. I think George's design is flawless, especially when you use the F bass strap...which he also sells