F-bass on metal music

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hiperi0n, Feb 17, 2006.

1. another thread on that wonderful instruments and a curiosity i have..i have read a lot of good things in other threads with the research function...reading how much versatile they are...i want to ask to all that have an F-bass or that played it if you think it can be used also for harder music...like metal or stuff like that..it has enough volume?working with electronic the tone can be insterted in that musical contest? i thanks anyone want to answer me
  2. ah yes..the band was called arabesque...i also checked it out...but cannot download their mp3s on their site..didn't worked...so listened only the mp3 loop sample on their web site..
    yes you are right any bass can work for any sort of music..just curiosity on asking if someone here use it for a more agressive sound than a jazz/funk tone like the most
  3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    an F bass will do a fine job, the putput in not as hot as most basses, but that's what that little vol/gain knob on our amps is for. they are growly as all and have great bottom end, so i think is way fine for anything
  4. thanx also to Adrian for you answser...i've read you are a really big supporter of F-bass...i think soon an F will be around my home :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    oh, you're most welcome, brother. :)
  6. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I love fs but I think there are better metal basses out there. The low output IS a factor to me. The bridge jaco-like tone is good if that is your thing, but the metal bright tone is better on Rics, Wals, and Yamaha.
  7. I'm convinced it will do a great job for you, Black and White cérusé is your ticket! ;)

8. seems that are really different opinions at is normal...the output level is so low?also in active mode?i mean compared to other instruments that you mentioned like wals or rics?
    first of all i have to say i don't need only a metal bass..i play also metal but i like playing also different music from pop , funk and jazz...i always played in my metal band with a Tobias Growler that i don't think is a typical metal bass
  9. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    As Adrian said, the output isn't as hot as say a Sadowsky. I play some metal and hard rock, and having both an F and a Sadowsky, I can use them interchangibly with minor adjustments to my rig. The Sadowsky shouts where the F just speaks loudly. They're both singing though (if that made any sense).
  10. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    there was a thread a while back started by Munjibunga (is that how it is spelled?) where he talks about getting lessons from a bass player he met via a corporate gig or something. Munjibunga (once again i don't know how to spell it) included a link to a long and very impressive promo video for the band, and the bass player was using what looked like a blue BN5. the band played many different songs and they sounded absolutely fantastic.

The thread should be in miscellaneous. see if you can dig it.
  11. i've found the thread you was talking about...yeah the F-bass sound is great..and i know that..listened other things before...but i was searching someone or something to listen about F-bass into more agressive music...
    the video is not on that music...but i really liked to listen at it..so thank you for that :)
  12. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Re-Evaluating my stance on f-basses. Much of the time people are taken back by the look of F-Basses. They are a bit unconventional looking, so people tend to think they don't fit in well in the "Rock" setting. I am not using my F-bass as my main bass with my band Impel. www.myspace.com/impel, if you want to check us out. The recordings don't have the F-Bass on them yet, but they will soon enough. I do believe they can fit in any type of music, it's just a matter if you like the sound in that context.

I don't consider myself Metal by any means.
  13. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    While not "metal" per se, the Evanescence CD was done with an F Bass, and the tone on that record is just absolutely killer.
  14. Hi There,

I'm bassplayer in a Prog metal band and I have never owned a better bass for this style. My BN5 has superb definition and balance. The B-string RULES!!!!!!!!
  15. i checked your web site arabesque...didn't was able to download the mp3s!the site didn't working..i would like to listen one mp3 of your sound!thanx
  16. Hmmm I'll check the webmaster. I heard he moved the website to another provider so that might be the problem. :confused:

Else check www.are-u-recordings.com:cool: . All Arabesque recordings are my F-bass except the last one (if I'm correct.)

Now I have recently recorded with my Sadowsky Vintage 5 which sounded superb too!!
  17. I don't know if Myron Dove used a Fbass on his recordings with Meniketti but his tone is really agressive in those cd's.
  18. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Cross Town Traffic!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  19. dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    Check out this month's edition of Bass Player mag. Seems like Tom Hamilton thinks his F Bass is the whip.

I am still trying to understand the problem with the F Bass not having as hot of an output as other basses. I thought the bass was supposed to create the tone and the amp throw that created tone out to the masses. Maybe its just me. But, the volume knobe on my amp and pre tends to not make that "lack of a hot output" a non issue.
  20. I saw in a metal magazine a guy playing a 10 string BEE bass, it looked sick, just sick. I'm sure an F would do fine if a Bee can.