F-Bass options: Natural or Sunburst?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Nov 23, 2003.

which color do you prefer

Poll closed Dec 8, 2003.
  1. natural

26 vote(s)
  2. sunburst

38 vote(s)
  1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    It's almost F-Bass time. I've narrowed it down to these two finishes.
    Very tough decision. :help:

(EDIT: Picture now contains actual basses 4-sale)

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Very tough, but i would go with the sunburst, to give it SOME color.
  3. I would go with the sunburst too.

4. as long as the neck dosn't look so bad i'd go with sunburst as well. you should have made this a poll. Actualy lets see if i can get a mod to make this a poll ...

5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Absolutely, the burst! I have a BN-5 in a dark blue-burst and it is wonderful - I was thinking of getting the red transparent finish but decided I'd get tired of it.

Dan K.
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi, is that natural one hard ash? It looks very pretty for a dusty ol' piece of swamp ash. Hmm... Well, they're both very pretty. Get the burst, that's a nice vintagey look. I'm kinda partial to that one. I have a similar one, an older style though. It's a fine instrument.
  7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Having been in the presence of both, I'm gonna go against the grain: Get the natural, George does the most amazing stuff with a simple piece of ash. Absolutely beautiful, do not hide any of that grain under color. Stunning basses.
  8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I vote natural, without any of the grain highlighting effects. I have never been a fan of sunburst finishes, but that's just one man's opinion. F basses are a great choice, enjoy!
  9. I'm usually partial to Sunburst (ESPECIALLY yellow-center sunburst), but on that bass, I'd got with Natural.
  10. Harwedereyet

Apr 21, 2003

But if decide to go with natural, make sure you get black knobs. The knobs on the pic above look almost like a tan colour.

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm a big fan of the natural look myself, especially the enhanced grain version, but lately, I have been turned on by some enhanced grained sunburst finishes. You can't go wrong with either choice in my opinion.
  12. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I bought a natural because I got a decent deal on a slightly used one a few years back.

I am one of those who like to own something that's not real common. That said, from the various F bass players that I've seen, it seems like there are more naturals out there than sunbursts Fs. So, my vote will go to the sunburst. just my 2 cents.
  13. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    ...the one thing I like about George's bursts is that you do have the option to add grain enhancment to them.....its a nice blend and a little unique also. Having spent alot of time with both in person I'd go for the burst:)
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm adding a poll to this thread, seems like it might be appropriate.
  15. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    F-Bass make one the most gorgeous sunburst finishes on the market. I voted for it.
  16. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks! I updated the above picture with the actual basses 4-sale. (I changed the sunburst bass only)

Here is a close-up of the ASH knobs:

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Considering that these are the two basses in question I would have to say the sunburst. I love the look of that burst with the enhanced grain. Either way you can't go wrong, it is an F!
  18. zonwon

Jan 21, 2003
    Go with the burst!!!