Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F Bass or Roscoe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Nov 30, 2003.

F Bass or Roscoe?

Poll closed Dec 14, 2003.
  1. Keep the F bass

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Keep the Roscoe

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Sell 'em both and get a Fender

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Keep 'em both and lose the wife

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I have to sell one of 'em. Not by choice. I'm being told I have too many basses. You know how it goes. So which one is it going to be? Keep the F bass, or keep the Roscoe? Both are fretted five strings. The F bass is a sunburst BN5 with the macassar ebony fingerboard. The Roscoe is a myrtle body LG-3005 with a purpleheart fingerboard. They're both very nice basses. I can't decide. I'll leave it up to you.

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'm about not be very kind, but I believe that your wife knew FROM THE START that you were a passionate bass player. This induces a "moral contract" between you and her.

If now she does not want to assume that any more, she is breaking the "contract".

This happened to me 20 years ago, I quit the wife. But do what you want.

Cheers,
    JL

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    It's been my experience that which ever bass you sell, eventualy you will buy another and it will cost much more than the instrument you sold! I've never played an F bass but from what I hear, they sound similar to a Roscoe (depending on who you talk to). Having owned both, I'm sure that you've got a good subjective opinion on that. If you can't make the decision on sound, I'd make the decision based on which bass plays/setups the best. And lastly, the tie braker, you could make the decision based on which bass looks the best.
    If it was me though, I'd trade the F bass for a nice Roscoe fretless. Then you've got more justification to have 2 basses. You also might consider getting your wife a nice Christmas gift (and telling her not to worry about getting you a gift this year)!:D

4. man, this one is right up there with, how do you end world hunger? ..tough question.

i would keep the roscoe.

5. I voted Keep the F.

But I'd would say that unless you are money less, you should keep both basses.
    Tell your wife to get rid of these shoes or jewelery she doesn't need...no way?! Ok so you keep the basses:D

larry

6. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. I owned two Roscoe LG 3005's and I wanted an F Bass BN 5 real bad so I sold one of them to partially pay for the F. I could not make a choice at all on which one to sell because I loved both of them. Even though both were different, each one was top notch in their own way and both were a stunning bass.

I do not in any way regret buying the F Bass, to me it is a more comfortable bass to play with the wider string spacing and the neck is the most comfortable neck I have ever played. The tone is to die for but in it's own way so is the Roscoe. The B-string on the F is nowhere close to the Roscoe basses and was a little dissapointed in it but then again nothing compares to a Roscoe in that department.

I still to this day miss my other Roscoe and wish I still had it but am glad I found F Basses. At least my choice was still easier to make than yours because I still own one of each so I don't know what I would do to be honest with you although perhaps I would keep the F Bass because to me it is a more comfortable bass for me to play.

This probably doesn't help you at all but good luck in your choice.

http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

7. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    If you are experiencing a financial crisis I could understand needing to sell one of your basses but I would'nt do it just to satisfy some sort of a bass quota. Best of luck to you, that is one hard choice.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Keep the Roscoe! Better tone, better feel, and a way better B!

9. What can I say; I'm a Fender guy...:p

10. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Well, I'm a woman, so I'd be "the wife" in this scenario, except I'm the one playing the bass. I'd say keep both basses. They are very nice, and I agrree that you will eventually end up getting another later and probably lose money or end up wishing for the one you sold. What is "too many" basses? I have nine.

Not to steer too close to psycho-whatever, usually when a spouse makes an ultimatum like this, it's not about the object (the bass), but about something else. How about talk to her Is she feeling that you should spend more time with her and less with the bass? Does she feel that you don't show her she is important by betting her something as expensive as a bass? There are probably ways you can find out what the real issue is and then really do something to address that issue.
    Also, if the problem is money, have a yardsale and het rid you your junk. But DO something without selling the basses. Or, at least, that's what I'd do.:cool:

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Keep both. In my 30+ years of playing bass, I've regretted selling every decent bass that I ever sold (not talking about the crappy basses, just the decent ones). I think that the F and the Roscoe are more than decent.

So, as to avoid the inevitable remorse of selling a great bass, I vote to keep both. Maybe not jettison the wife, but seek other alternatives to approaching the issue. I'm assuming that it was your wife who told you to sell the bass, although it wasn't stated in your first post.

Bluemonk may have another angle on this (insightful perspectives there, Bluemonk). Goodluck and my best to you on keeping all your basses!

12. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I don't know what your situation is. But if it's a financial thing and it has to be done that's one thing, as a "last resort". You gotta eat, pay some pressing bills or whatever. But don't sell one because you were told you have too many. You know you will wind up buying another one to replace it down the line eventually, so why do it now. It will just cost you more in the long run, just like everyone has been saying.

13. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Wow, you guys are merciless! I LIKE my wife! Come on, let's have a few more votes for one or the other. :)

Thanks bluemonk, good advice there. Well, here's the sitch. I'm fortunate enough to have a surplus of basses at the moment. In fact, at the moment I'm doing pretty darn good. My "beater bass" is an F bass BN5.

Wifey is very respectful about music, I own an entire room in the house, which is basically my home studio and equipment repository. However lately the gear has spilled out into the other rooms and into the garage, and I've been able to get away with it on the basis that there was an ongoing recording project involving many people. But that's almost over now, the gear needs to go back into the cage, and besides I'm getting tired of tripping over amps every time I need a patch cord from across the room. So I'm basically in complete agreement that there's a bit of a situation with all the gear, and it needs to be thinned out.

Well, as you can imagine, the amps were fairly easy to parcel out, but the basses are a little harder. They're all fine and unique instruments in their own way, and it's hard to make a choice. I'm wanting to unload stuff that rarely gets used, and stuff that's redundant. Unfortunately both basses fall into the latter category at the moment. I can keep one of them because I have a slot left in the gear closet. I'm inclined to keep the Roscoe just because I like the newer F basses so much (the ones with the reversed headstock and the newfangled preamp). So I'm inclined to sell the F bass and play the Roscoe for a while, and then get one of the newer F basses when the right one presents itself. It's still an agonizing decision though. For some reason I just have a difficult time parting with a fine instrument like a BN5. Probably vestiges of separation anxiety from previous experiences. :)

14. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Man, I bet there are a lot of us that wish we had that kind of gear problem! If you're thinking that you'll buy a new F bass later, then I'd say sell the F.

15. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I don't feel near as bad for you as I did earier.

16. unless you need some money keep them both. if I had to pick just one I would keep the F-bass. it is not like one bass take up that much space, and unless you need the money it is kinda pointless to get rid of it. you are just going to end up getting another one.

I have always liked the tone of the F-bass, it works with everything, not saying the roscoe does not but I just like the F tone better.

17. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ahh hah! nonsqtr,

we're getting a better picture now. I'd say, try to keep the wife and the F. find a new place to hang it - from the ceiling or from the wall in the corner, etc. I can understand the wife's perspective though. Come on, get all your basses and gear back into the music room.

Let me tell you one of my stories... I had an early 1970s beater bass. It was a Fender P Bass. it had a lot of dings and scratches. it wasn't all that great looking anymore. by the early 1980s it was not appealing to me. it was no longer hip, it was not hi fi sounding like some of the newer basses at the time. I sold it.

I am so sorry that I sold it now! it was a great playing bass. and a 70s P Bass! Today's Fenders are inferior that bass IMHO. I wish that I kept it.

You're dealing with an F. yes, you can buy another F later on down the line. But I think that you should keep that F. you won't be sorry.

18. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Here's a pic of some basses. The one on the left is the Roscoe. It's a really cool bass. The fingerboard is all purpleheart but there's no purple in it, it looks like dark birdseye or something. The sunburst F is there too.

19. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Here's a closeup of the Roscoe.

20. Sorry to change the subject, but just a quick question: How do you find the tone of the ebony fingerboard F Bass compares to the maple one?