F bass owners--Favorite Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheGeneral, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Anybody that owns an F bass out there, what are your farorite strings and gauges? I have just been using the Labella super steps since that is what came with the bass and they seemed to work well.
    Now I'm curious about others people have tried for fretted and fretless.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, if it helps, I really don't recommend using D'Addario XL's on the F. They don't have that high-end snap to the sound that the Labella's have. The F-Bass I have just bought had Elixers on it. They weren't bad, but I don't think you will find a better string for these basses than the Labella Super Steps.
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    just fyi for the f-bass type kinda guys out there with the wooden bridge/bone nut setup...you can get shims to put underneath the nut to accomodate different guage strings or taper wounds.
  4. Adrian,
    That's pretty much what I've concluded because I know George has done so much research into his work that I find it hard to believe he would slap on any strings without having carefully selecting them. And, you are right about that high-end snap! I put a new set of SuperSteps on my A.C. fretless and they sounded kind of strange--very much like metal cables with a lot of that new string round-wound phasing kind of sound. It didn't work well with the fretless so I'm hoping this set will calm down a bit before my next session. I absolutely love new supersteps on my BN6--some of the greatest bass tones ever. The basses sound great with dead strings that it is hard to believe they could sound any better, but after putting a new set on my BN6 for some recording my jaw was on the floor.
  5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've been using Fodera (Diamond ??) strings on my F-Bass fretless. They sound great, and they will make them in any length or gauge.

6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    When I bought my BN5 used, it had a set of GHS Supersteels. Since then, I've tried DR Marcus Millers, Fodera compessed round stainless Diamonds, and Fender Super Bass nickel plated steel 7250s. All with 130 Bs, and of these sets only the GHS had a taper wound on the end of the B, the others have the regular wound on the end of the B. I am very interested in trying the La Bellas.

All of the sets sounded great and I'm still experimenting and trying other brands. So far, I liked the DR Marcus set best. The GHS B didn't seem as focused, maybe because of the taper wound at the bridge. The Foderas seemed to have slightly more tension and required truss rod adjustments. The Fender nickel plated steels, as expected, were less bright but still sounded good; and were the cheapest set at $22.