1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

F Bass Piccolo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by simongpaez, Apr 15, 2006.

1. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Whats with this one? 29" scale wow,:bassist:
    Never played a 29er!!!
    Any comments? Thoughts?

2. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    If you send me $4K I'll order one and review it for you! NP, no need to thank me. :)

3. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, La Bella-Olinto Bergantino Audio Systems
    This grew out of my desire to try to design a piccolo with George...we sat down and determined all the specs including the scale length. It was just a good shot to try 29"...far enough away from a guitar and quite smaller than a 34"bass. We were toying with 30" but were very happy with the 29". It felt really good to me for a 5 string picc. Nice for chording and finger style solo/lines...Richard Bona was all over it at NAMM and that one actually went to him. He seemed to love it so I guess the scale length felt good for him and his big hands too.

Cheers,Mitch

4. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    How many F's do you own, Mitch? One of those Mac tops was yours, si?

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Mitch,
    Is that the piccolo that was at NAMM? That thing rocked!
    JC

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Personally I've never had a problem with a 34" piccolo either.

I find that I just play differently at different string spacings and scale lenghts.

7. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, La Bella-Olinto Bergantino Audio Systems
    Hi Dave..that Mac topped one went to G Guitars after NAMM..it was built for me originally but it turned out a little compressed- still sounded great though .... I have one already that has some compression and sounds great.

I only have 2 Fs ..the first BN5 from '2000 and a second one from '2003. I'm also in posession of a 3rd from the booth that I'm still deciding on ..and maybe sell the first one (still a great bass). Anyways..not nearly as many as it might sound ..

Cheers,Mitch

8. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Ya Joel..that was the one. You should have heard Bona making music on that thing 20 seconds after he picked it up....some guys are just born with "it"!!!
    He wanted it....I'm glad it went to him.

Cheers,Mitch

9. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    I agee for sure! Right now I have an'81 Jazz Bass strung with piccolo strings an octave higher...(glad no strings snapped- I was winding slowly)....sounds really good...and I do think/play a little differently than on the 29" F Picc.

Cheers.Mitch

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have a feeling Richard Bona could make amazing music on a hairtie! man, he is unreal. he is fast becoming one of my favorite all around musicians. Just tonight between shows, i and the rest of the band were astounded at the beauty of his music, i brought in his latest cd.
    what an unbelievable bass player ( and everything else )

11. Post Hijack: Adrian, have you seen this DVD?:
    http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A7KM7E/qid=1145289435/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl15/701-9901710-0758758
    It's a great little doc on him. Very inspiring!
    Back to the subject!:D

12. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
  13. I stumbled on a Richard Bona CD 'Reverence' at Borders Bookstore a couple of weeks ago. They were having a sale and this CD was going cheap. I bought it because I saw he was a bass player.

This CD blindsided me, it was great music, slightly different from the usual stuff I stumbled on to.

14. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yes, sorry to derail the F bass thread, but i have been wearing Reverence out! wonderful , wonderful music.

15. How did Richard Bona come up? Was he playing a piccolo bass?

Incidently, if you liked Reverence, you might also like another CD: 'Nu Monda' by artist Tcheka.

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That it's Bona's world and we all just live in it. He seems to get first crack at all the good looks, talent, chops, gigs and basses...we all just fall in at various places behind him.

17. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    somehow, i am ok with that... :)

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    It's fine with me! I hope my post didn't sound bitter about it. :)

19. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    not at all! :D