F-bass, sound clips?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niskamies, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I exchanged a few emails with George Furlanetto, and he got me interested in those basses.

Has anybody got soundclips from F-basses? I only found one on the internet, and it was excellent.

And can F-bass users describe the tone. I want growl and a solid bottom end. Can the F-bass deliver that? And would you choose maple or ebony on the fretboard?

Is the F-bass different from a Sadowsky in sound? I have an MS5, and the F-bass and the Sadowsky has the same body and neckwoods. Is there still a noticable difference?

And all comments on F-basses are welcome.
  2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Pick up any Alain Caron CD. All he uses are F Bass basses.
    www.alaincaron.com also has some clips of tunes from his discs.
    Shoot Adrain Garcia a PM, I know he has some clips of his F Bass floating around (and he can play his ass off!!).
  3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    howdo u make soundclips??

i've been wanting to do this FOREVER!!!

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    first of all, Mikebass needs to get out more ! ( thanks, bro! )
    i pm'ed you the links to the clips...
    they are humble representations - then there's Alain, he's just monstrous! however, and i don't want to confuse.. Alain's F bass sound is a little different than I am getting. He uses an ebony fretboard, big difference... it's tigher with more mids. I prefer the maple board, i get plenty " Fendery" and much more. Growl for days.. as i have said before, I have owned just about everything out there, my F bass is my go-to bass and will be the last bass i sell if it ever came to that, God forbid.

let's see... here's the links to the clips again

http://www.accessbass.com/DOLPHIN DANCE ELECTRIC.mp3

( this is done in my spare bedroom, on protools le, live , no overdubs. Just straight in with , no DI )

http://accessbass.com/f bass clip.mp3
    (this was the Buckeye F bass that Mikebass ( and I ) owned for a bit-
    its is straight in with a drum loop i had on the computer)

definitely my favorite basses on the planet.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You can get a more vintage Jazz tone in addition to what you hear Alain get. Much fatter sound. One of the best traditional Jazz bass sounds out there.

I prefer Maple myself on the fingerboard.
  6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Yeah, I did dig that bass, but it never sat well with me.
    I just dig the Sadowsky thing for fretted, but fretless.......man oh man does my BNF5 slam!!! :bassist:
  7. brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Marcus Miller also uses an F bass from time to time. There are a couple of tracks on M2 that feature his F bass (I believe #10???...it features a sax player that sounds like David Murray...if not David Murray himself...). Just listen for a thicker, fatter 5-string version of Marcus's sound!
  8. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Nice 1/2 time naningo for a couple of bars. I've always done that for the entire b section.

Are you playing the keys as well?
  9. dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    If I may butt in,

I do not think Alain Caron's fretted tone is represenative of F basses. IMO Alains Fretted sound is a Caron sound.Alain's fretted basses are not of the wood combination or pickups typical of GF's BN series of basses. Most every fretted fbass I have played owned or heard has been more 70ish fender / MM

Now his fretless voice .... That for sure what u get out of a AC fretless.