F-Bass String Compatibilty Issue

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BrandonS, Nov 19, 2001.

1. BrandonS

Nov 15, 2000
    I just picked a new set of DR Low Rider 5 strings (B- .130). Upon attempting to install the new strings I discovered that the B string, at least, won't fit through the holes in the bridge.

Of course I had originally tried to buy a set of La Bellas which is what they originally come with but it seems as though retailers have a hard time getting strings from them.

It appears that the F's bridge is suited for the exposed core string where the only thing to come into contact with the bridge is the inner core; these exposed core strings' true diameters consequently don't cause any problems during installation.

Can anyone give me any advice, either where to find La Bella's for a decent price or another set of strings that would be compatible with the F.

2. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    I just strung up my BN-5 today with D'Addario 45-130's. "F" uses a Hipshot bridge that should handle up to 140! Is yours older with a different bridge? With the Hipshot just drop the string through the slot and slide over to its hole. Good luck!
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Probably better suited for the Strings forum.
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use stainless steel GHS Supersteps on my BN5

130-105-85-65-45, the taper core fits nicely into the bridge.