Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F Bass Users!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dwc3690, Feb 21, 2006.

1. I have a 1990 F bass, its passive with single coils. I was wondering if I should upgrade to a new f bass, or just fix up the old one... What do you recommend, I dont have much expirence upgrading a bass.

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I have a newer Fbass with the preamp and the newer pickups, and I think it is perfect.

Georges upgrades are relatively pricey, but IMO, its worth it. His electronics are great, and super versatile.

If you really like the feel of the bass, I'd say go for it. If you're okay with the prices, you won't be disappointed.

3. Wolf! That was my answer!!:D
    So what he said.

Give George a mail, he'll tell you the cost of the upgrade. If you like the sound of your bass, you'll like it with the pre, the boosts only EQ are very transparent and very convenient to achieve almost any sound.

4. Parts of me dont want to change anything about it and just get a new one as well, but I dont have the money for that... So I thought upgrade, but I have a new amp on the way and I want to see how it sounds out of that amp.

5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I'd be curious what the total upcharge is for new pickups and preamp.

6. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I think you have answered your own question:)

7. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    dwc3690,

it seems that you haven't quite made up your own mind yet, although you are asking F bass owners their thoughts. It seems you should wait until you get your rig before you make a decision. Meanwhile, check with George on pricing for the pickups and the pre, consider buying the parts from him an having a reputable luthier do the install. Then you have counted up the cost and put yourself in a better position to make a decision. If you decide to go new you have your starter fund from what you were willing to pay for an upgrade, but that's just IMO.

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    a 1990? VERY COOL

i say just throw a pre-amp in her

9. It might not be necessary to change the pups.
    Dwc may only add a pre, it should work fine with the actual passive pups of his F bass. The F bass pre is one of the best out there, it is obviously a good upgrade for a passive bass, F Bass or not.

If the Fbass pre is too expensive for you, you can put another cheaper one. Any decent pre with active/passive switch would also be a good upgrade(best of both worlds!!).

10. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I know the preamp is about $450. Not sure about the pickups.

11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Someone said they are $250 each.

That seems like alot, but I'm not sure if thats the actual cost or not

12. Expensive stuff, but i bet its worth it... If im going to be spending that kind of money i might as well just wait a little longer and get a new one and keep this one as well... Maybe a fretless

13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    pre amp price is like 395 canadian

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What is that in rubels?

15. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    what the **** are rubels?

is that like magic beans?

16. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    That might be the currency in Zelda? or is that Rupies?

Where is Richst? I sold him a early F bass a while back, and he put in new electronics and said he was real happy with the update. Anyways, I think asked george about a pre, and it was 350 US.

Maybe like 4,500,000 Rupies. Didn't have too many electronics in those times. But you could get a pretty sweet shield for a lot less!!!

Must...put....crack pipe.....down.......

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Rubels are (were) Russian currency.

Back on topic, one of the more interesting preamp upgrades I've seen;)

Attached Files:

18. holy crap! i'm at a loss for words!

19. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    jesus h christ

20. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    that was that BN6 with the crazy alembic preamp right?

i remember that gold ceruse finish!!! I remember the preamp layout making my brain hurt too!