Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F-Bass vs. R-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Nov 26, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Can anyone shed some light on the differences?
    Pros and Cons?

Am I right in assuming that R-Bass is modern sounding while F-Bass is vintage sounding?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've never heard of either! :confused:

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    F-Bass on the left.
    R-Bass on the right.
    [​IMG]

Pictures from :

Access-bass.com (F-bass)
    thelowend.net (R-Bass)
    (Hope they don't mind)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Never seen either in the UK!

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I think both can achieve a hi-fi sound, and I think can go to passive, in which you can acheive a relative 'old school' sound.

But I'll score you one point on your assessment. F basses usually have a passive tone roll off. That lets you dial in that walk tone real easily. I can get that tone, but not without touching less than 2 knobs.

Playability, sound and all are comparable. I like my R bass better than anything, but I just had an F pass by me, and it sounded and played very well.

7. From my knowledge Rbass is just a Fodera copy. As for Fbass, there made in canada by a gentleman named George Furlanetto. www.fbass.com, I've been wanting to play one.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Well you certainly look as if you are "feeling pain" in your new avatar!! ;)

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    And it's all your fault!

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    fodera copy....so is that bad?

I have heard this before.......Ray was a luthier for Carl Thompson, and while in Ney York did hang with Vinnie and Joey a bit. So yes he did take notes. And regardless of the history and relationship with some of the people around, the guy has an eye for detail to his basses. They are top notch, no question about that.

Sorry, I am not trying to come down on you, but this has been said before, and I feel the workmanship is not accurately portrayed by this.

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    F Bass = Souped-up Jazz

R Bass = Discount Fodera

12. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That is a bit harsh! R-Basses are great basses. I would say that they have a more modern tone. On the other hand, I find F Basses to be way more versatile. You can get a Modern super Clean hi fi tone on active, or switch to passive to get a vintage Jazz Bass tone. They are superb instruments. I like both, but I like the F bass better.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    F Basses can be both modern and vintage sounding. I have a couple of George's basses, one is a Studio 5 and among other things it nails the killer vintage (if there had actually been a real one) 5 string Jazz sound but is not limited to that. The BN5 is a slightly more modern sounding bass.

I haven't heard anything bad about R basses. I've actually heard that they're on par or better for some folks than Foderas. I do know some folks get touchy when they're referred to as Fodera copies. That doesn't mean they're cheap or cheesy but hey, look at them. They look like Foderas.

Ever seen or heard of Alain Caron, Bruce? ;)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Nope - apart from mentions on this board - I've never heard or seen any CDs by him or which he plays on - and I've never seen him touring around my way!

15. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Are you saying that the F-Bass is similar to a Lakland?

16. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Brian Barrett in 3...2....1 ;)

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    JR- i had both- i had a really nice R bass that i LOVED!! played it self and sounded great- however- i sold it to get an F bass because the F bass was more versatile- i can get more sounds from it- for me- the Fbass has become the one to beat- but hey, im a dealer , so you cant take what i say as the gospel truth!!- peace!- A.

18. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Adrian,

How does the F-Bass compare to the Lakland Dlx?

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I am a big fan of Lakland basses- i think they are great giging machines- and ive always been a fan of Bartolini- but the F bass gives me an added depth- a fatness and growl that surpasses the lakl in my opinion- being a dealer- its hard to be unbiased and i dont mean to say that any of these other basses are weak- i do only sell what i believe in , so no fillers- Laks are great- an F bass is just further up - the 34.5 scale is just a delight- and the matching pup covers and all that stuff is just nice.. but mostly - its just s deeper , more sophisticated sound.. have you read the BP review??

20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Adrian is right. I keep trying to find a 5 string I like better and I keep coming up short. Playability, weight, finish work, all outstanding. Most important, they sound fantastic. Thick, punchy, and the ability to get very "hifi". Check out a an F!:)

Rob