Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F Bass - what's it sound like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazz5757, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Always in search of "something" different, I've had a Fodera, MTD, Elrick and recently a Sadowsky Metro, but I've always thought F basses were, in a word---beautiful! With no chance of actually finding one to play, what can you guys tell me about their overall sound? Can they get a "fenderish" sound at all? Is the sound mainstream enough to play most cover tunes in the rock/pop setting? I'd really prefer a 4, but George's website doesn't even list prices, etc. on 4's---does anybody know if he's still making them. any comments are appreciated--thanks!

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I wouldn't describe the sound as "fenderish", not really anyway. Maybe a Jazz bass on some serious drugs (this is meant as a compliment). To me, they are a very modern sounding bass, but the EQ makes them very versatile, especially with the passive option. I used mine (BN6) for the first time this weekend on a gig, and it worked out great. It cut through the mix well, but it also fit in the mix very well (get where I am coming from??). I got compliments from our soundman on it when I switched from it to my Modulus Q5. I play in a band that plays a little bit of everything--classic rock, 80's, 90's, modern rock, and even a couple of country songs--and it sounded great for me.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  4. Ryan - I play about the same range of musical styles, almost identical btw, that's encouraging to hear that the F is so versatile---it certainly makes it more attractive to me---thanks.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I should also have been more specific--I play mine through an SVT4 Pro head and SVT410HLF cabinet, FWIW.

I really haven't had a chance to see everything it'll do, I used it for one full gig on Friday night, and then for an hour set at a benefit deal I did with a different band on Sunday night. But from what I have seen and heard so far, it is going to work out great for what I want it to do.

Oh, and I might as well mention also that they are extremely light--the BN6 that I have is much lighter than both my Modulus Q5 and my Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman 5. And it balances perfectly.

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    You're saying your soundman liked the F Bass better than your Modulus Quantum 5? Just curious, but how would you describe the sonic differences between your F Bass and the Quantum 5? I own both a Quantum 5 and an F Bass BN5 too. it would be nice to hear someone elses take on the differences.

I still like a lot of what the Modulus can do, but my F Bass is a clear winner. I play the F Bass BN5 it 99% of the time now. Last night at a gig, there were three of the top local bass players in the house. They all loved my tone with the F Bass. And The B String? Get out of Town! It is Monstrous on the F Bass and so very musical. The Modulus Q5 has been relegated to being one heck of a nice 'back-up' bass. - Gary

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I don't have alot of experience with F Bass, but I did get a chance to borrow Hippiesandwich's F Bass for a while. It had a killer slap tone to it. I mean the eq was set in a way that the bass practically slapped itself.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The only time I've seen an FBass used live was on a Jesse Cook performance on a show called JazzBox, and the bassist used an FBass for the whole set. The music was a mix of jazz, latin-jazz, and flamenco guitar-style. The bass sounded amazing throughout the whole set, and it sat very well in the mix. It was also very easy to pick out when you wanted. I wouldn't say it "cuts", so much as has a very, very good presence. I find that if a bass cuts through the mix, it sounds like it's being forced on you, and it kinda screws with the mix a bit IMO, but the FBass sits in the mix, and if you WANT to hear it, you can very easily pick it out.

Adrian: That soundclip you posted was awesome. I loved the upper-register finger-style. Beautiful, beautiful tone!

9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
  10. PM sent.

Thanks,

Randy

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Alain Caron plays F Basses. Try to find some clips of him at his website or Amazon.

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    watch the Tonight Show every week night, that's an F Bass upinthere ! :bassist:

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :eek: Thanks for the tip, Adrian.

BassAtlanta: PM.

14. Ok, AFTER I hear Letterman's opening monologue I'm going to switch over to Leno---I can hear my wife now, "why are you switching the channel?"....[me] "don't you know? They're bass player plays an F bass"....[her] "oh, why didn't you say so?" :smug: Maybe I'll try a different approach. Seriously though, I will check that out tonight. Thanks. I'm just looking for a versatile bass (and great looking) that everybody and their brother doesn't own.

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Adrian, is the F-bass that you're using on this sound clip has a Maple fingerboard or the ebony because I would really like to hear a F-bass with the ebony fingerboard to see how different it may or may not sound from the maple fingerboard.Oh ! btw that was some real nice playing

16. UrbanIvy

UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    I just played one of their BN5's today at a music shop and it sounded unbelievably great! My bass is a Warwick Thumb 4 and I don't generally like 5 string basses. This is the only five string that I have ever felt natural to me. The B string was rediculously good.

I played a Zon there as well and liked the feel and the tone of the F-Bass a lot better. I expected the Zon to blow it away.

I'll be back at that place to see how the F-Bass stacks up to an MTD. For the price I'm very tempted to pick one up. They are extremely hard to find used though

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Depends on where you look I guess. I found two pretty easily.

18. I'm also looking to purchase a percision instrument such as the F Bass. i've heard nothing but great things about its tone and build, however some of its features seem a little suspect to me. I'm an looking into purchasing a six string fretless, and on the BN6 fretless model, certain characteristics are foreign to me.

To be exact, the Ebony bridge with the bone saddle is a feature i've never seen. I have no particular experience with this feature, however at first glance it seems the basses actions would not be subject to change once the bass is set up for the first time. I am not sure about this since i tend to raise my action quite a bit to begin with, and even more so when i head into the studio. Ive heard that the f basses do have a low action, is this true? And would it be possible to have the brass bridge that comes on the fretted basses installed on the fretless bass?

Also, i've heard the f basses are very light. I've been playing heavier bass my whole life, and i enjoy the feeling of something sturdy in my hands. What is the weight compared to a Warwick Thumb 6? To me the Warwick felt a tad light, barable but still light. Is the F bass any lighter?

Anybody with experience with these basses that could help me out before i bust almost 5000 grand on one would be awesome.