Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maimz, Jul 23, 2001.

1. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    anyone play one of these great basses from hamilton ontario canada? my friend has one and they amaze me every time...

2. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Never played one, but they look very pretty

:D

Hooray for canada!!

w00t

3. Played a fretless 6 once. Almost died.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Played a 4 string @ Bass Central in Orlando. If I hadn't been committed to finding a fretless, I'd have that bass.
    Now I'm searching for a fretless model.
    The tones were unbelievable! Huge, round, fat, thick, whatever corpulent synonyms you can think of, that bass was awesome.
    The neck was extremely comfortable...
    Quite a superior specimen. They aren't cheap, but you really get what you pay for.
    I wasn't crazy about the appearance, but after playing one, I don't care what they look like.
    I want one!!!
    m

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That, to me, is the mark of a truly nice bass...who cares what it looks like?;)

Why does the Linc Luthier immediately come to mind?:D

I have yet to play an F that I didn't at least like, let alone love. Can't say that about a lot of brands.

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    heh... Linc... funky! Haven't played one yet, can't comment.
    I'm fortunate that I love the look of my Warwick Infinity 5 (I'm a sucker for F-holes). Just glad everything else about it works for me too.
    Sometimes the aesthetics match your tastes, sometimes you have to grin & bear it...(or bare it, as the case may be).

I'm not crazy about the Pentabuzz appearance... it's such a rotund body, with little skinny horns... but dang ifn the tone doesn't knock me out. I guess I'm still hoping to find something that'll surpass or at least match that tone, but with a different design...but if that never happens, that's OK.

It seems like you really have to compromise somewhere to get as close as you can to a workable 'signature model' or 'dream bass'...
    is it just me? Of course, that's hard to say if you haven't actually settled on your 'ultimate' instrument yet.
    I'm getting closer. Just don't think 1 particular bass is ever going to do it all for me...
    am I rambling?
    mark

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I used to own an F fretless, for me they are still the best fretless. Here it's hard to play any other "good" brand though. Never tried a Zon, or a Pedulla, or a Sadowsky fretless or...

So for me, F are the best fretless. The fretted one are also very good, but I think their fretless are better.
    I paid about 750US$ for my F, I sold it before they where very popular. I guess I could easily sell it for 1500$ today.

8. I own a 5string fretless Fbass and it is the best fretless I have ever played. It is an early 80s model that I bought off of my DB teacher. I actually like this bass better than the newer F basses.

9. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    i guess living in canada....let alone ontario about 2 hours from hamilton i am quite lucky......the nice thing about F bass is you dont have to have the guy make you everything new.....my friends was a used body but a new neck, im not sure about the pickups and hardware......and i mean....from what i have been told the shop has an amazing selection and since they are handbuilt in small quantities you can get exactly what you want, and to me that is amazing.......having spent the equivalent of a top of the line f bass on other equipment in the last few months i dont think ill be getting one for a while......but being 22 and having both a fender p/j active and a cheapo shortscale fretless that i rigged up im still lucky to most peoples standards......the short scale is a little too easy to play compared to a real scale fretless....great for beginning cuz my pinky wont drift on a 4 fret jump and i always hit the note bang on....when i go to a normal scaled one i get major drift......anyone else ever played a short scale fretless.....its very dreamy!

10. i play an ashbory does that count as a short scale fretless?

11. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    I think the Ashbury is a midget scale bass:)

The F fretted basses I've played have a big, warm, growly tone. There's a coil splitting switch so you can get a good single coil jazz bass tone out of them as well as the humbucker tone. Not a hi-fi sound. My F fretless has a great woody tone and plays really well.

12. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    cool.....i like a growly tone........but i mean isnt that a feature you just need? i played an alembic the other day and really liked it!!! my fretless used to have frets and hasnt been played in years......ive been so busy(yadi yada) i still have to remount the hardware....i bought the actual bass years ago for 100 bucks.....then i put an ebony fretboard on it......anyone else play ebony and feel guilty about it? is the wood really _that_ rare? in any case i havent played a fretted f bass......i _will_ get one eventually.....