1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

F bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pierreganseman, Sep 28, 2008.

1. pierreganseman

pierreganseman

Aug 23, 2008
    Brussels
    Hey guys, just wondering, I have been drooling of F bass bn5 for ages now. Any of you guys own one?? good experience?? bad experience??

thx

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

2. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
  3. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    I love how mine looks, sounds, plays and feels. Other than that, it's fabulous! It's is one of the two nicest basses I have played. The other is also an F.

4. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I have a nice F Bass BN5 and it's an incredible bass. Not perfect in my opinion, and these days I really just prefer a straight jazz bass, but regardless a great bass. Very easy to play, super versatile preamp, well built (although the finish is too thin), and a generally great sounding bass.

5. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    That is no longer the case with George's new finish...

I own several F Basses, and I feel they are one of the best basses on the market. First of all, the ergonomics of the bass are superb for a more or less "traditional" body shape. Second, the fit and finish is so good that I actually play better on an F Bass. Third, I don't think it's possible to get a bad tone out of an F Bass, which is very rare for an active bass. Most other active basses you tweak the knobs too much one way, and the tone goes to @!#$%.

6. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    +1. This is definately NOT the case with the Fbass preamp. Very versatile, and musical throughout the sweep on all 3 bands.

7. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    Still loving mine, it has the best mid-range control of any bass or amp I've used. Like others have said the weight, balance and the way it sits with my body when strapped is perfect.

Wally

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I going to give it go with the new VF5,because I had an F bass a couple years ago and thought that it sounded good but was too soft in the volume department,however I've been told that has been rectified

9. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

I own this one...

IMG_0671.

My entire experience with Fbass has been superb!! I dealt with George Furlanetto personally... he and his team of luthiers did an unbelievable job of creating my bass exactly to my specs and personal 'tastes'.

I've had this bass for 18 months now and it's damn near PERFECT... a true work of art. I based my spec's on other F's I played previous to my order (all of which were GREAT instruments) and IMO all these fbasses are most versatile instruments I've ever played. They have a very good preamp that's just LOADED with modern and vintage tones.

Also, the ergonomics are genius! How George created a bass that looks this cool to sit so well on a strap is beyond me?!?! Neck profile... the very best. Matching pickups and electronics covers... uhh yeah! Fit and Finnish... Perfect! :bassist:

If I felt I needed another fretted bass, it would be either an oil rubbed BN5 or VF5. Just GREAT basses IMHO.

I hope you take the plunge... buy an FBass! :D

10. Thats a GREAT looking F-Bass Speyer.

11. There is a lot of love for F Bass around here and for good reason. Fact: F Basses are amongst the most versatile boutique basses currently available on the market. I only have one bass these days and it's a BN5. It covers everything that I do and then some. Personally, I demand absurd levels of quality when it comes to the tone, feel and over-all aesthetic of the basses that I play, in short I am one picky SOB. Without a doubt, F Bass truly satisfies all of my needs and wants when it comes to bass. Imagine being that content with a bass, it is possible.:cool:

The F Bass tone gets plenty modern, however it also has a strong j-bass fundamental backbone to it. The preamp allows you to shape your tone to suit any situation. Also, like Donovan and Dave mentioned, you cannot make the preamp sound bad no matter what the settings. Even the VF series stays true to the F Bass standards and formula that have proven themselves to so many happy bassists. F Bass comfortably walk the line between vintage and modern with ingenuity and real world refinements for those that appreciate the attention to detail that George and his team put into every single bass that leaves the F Bass shop. Not to mention, customer service that is simply beyond reproach.

If you want the pinnacle of versatility and craftsmanship, look no further than F Bass. George and Co. really have it figured out - this whole bass thing that is.:D

Cheers,
    Paul Theriault
    Bassjones
    http://www.myspace.com/paultheriaultmusic

12. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

+1... Great post.

13. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I think F Basses are absolutely awesome. I'll certainly add a BN6 to my quiver some day.

14. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    +1 for a great post.

15. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

;)

16. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Yeah? Maybe George would like to fix mine!

Actually, in all seriousness I could probably never sell my F Bass. Even though these days I just prefer a straight J Bass or P Bass, it is such a great bass I could never get rid of it. It's just way too beautiful...

17. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

I can't say I've ever heard anyone make that complaint, about any bass. How exactly does a Too Thin Finish manifest itself? i.e., what are the symptoms of a bass with too thin a finish?

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am a very big fan of George's instruments. Speyer's description was excellent, and I wholeheartedly concur. :)

Here is my BN5 (which has the new, more durable, finish):

Canon129.

Canon123.

Canon133.

Canon130.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    And while I'm at it, here is my BN4 (older finish, but holding up just fine):

145_4517.

145_4515.

20. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Ok, maybe "too thin" isn't the best phrasing. How about "too soft?" I wore through mine at the pickup in about 3 weeks. I have heard lots of people complain about this with F Bass. Still a nice bass though.