1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

F basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jim nolte, Oct 27, 2006.

1. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Any F bass players out there? I love mine, don't see many around.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    There's quite a few around here, I am sure they will chime in before too long.

I owned a BN6 for about a year, and I thought it was a great bass. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that its pickups seemed to have a much lower output than my other basses, requiring amp adjustments every time I switched basses. No biggie, though. I sold it back to the guy I bought it from this summer.

3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I have a couple of BN-4s. Really nice basses, I love the tone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA

Is it me, or are those older F-basses?

5. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i think the bottom one is almost as old as i am

Dave

6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    I love my BN6. I think it does have a slightly lower output, but with my huge a$$ poweramp, it's not an issue at all. That preamp is where its at IMO. Awesome tone that just gets better with good eq'ing.

Also, F bass has a passive setting that actually sounds great, like a good passive bass, not just a dead battery failsafe like so many passive switches.

DSCF2785.jpg

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The lower output didn't bother me too much, it was actually the only thing I could find to complain about with the bass. And I agree, the F Bass preamp is the bomb. I would love to own a BN5 someday, the main reason I got rid of my BN6 was that the 19mm spacing was a bit too much on a 6er for my liking.

8. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    :ninja: I'd actually love to hear a F bass with Nordy dual coils or fat stacks in it :eek: :eek: :ninja:

9. If I had the money I would have an F bass. I sold mine bc my budget and a 2k bass didn't quite match up. Aftger I sold it I bought lasik surgery for my eyes, a new bass, and still had hundreds left over. I just can't justify having one until I have HUGE gigs to back me up financially.

I do miss my F though. It was a sweet bass which is now played by ptidwell. The light weight, jazz bass like smootheness is tough to beat. The bridge tone is killer and the look is out of this world!

10. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i WILL own a F Bass someday.

11. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ironically, I was just about to say the best sounding Nordy I have heard is that one Dan has with the F bass package. Fat stacks might be cool, but I do think the best part of them is the sound for sure. Along with the feel.....looks.....blah blah blah ;)

Then again, one of the best sounding basses I have heard did have nordy single coils.....so it very well might be cool. But I wouldn't change out my electronics on my F, but I am thinking about fat stacks in one of my other basses......

[​IMG]

12. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    LamarJones: I love that color. That's what mine was going to be but I ended up with this:
    BN5FrtCrop50.jpg

I'm not dissapointed but I still love that charcoal burst!

Nothing I have played is as nice as my F bass. B-string? heh heh..., killer.

:bassist:

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They're certainly well made basses, and they obviously play well as they have their fans, but I've always found them to have such a flat, dull tone! The sound of them is perhaps one of the reasons why I'm not overly fond of Alain Caron's music.

However, I am pleased for the people that own them and love them!

14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    The funny thing about Alain is that his slap tone is nothing remotely like the slap tone I get, not even in the same ballpark. I'm not sure what thats attributed to, but it sounds like alot more of a discrepancy than technique.

To me his slap tone sounds almost like a sampled keyboard slap bass patch or something.

I'm not too fond of his music either really, his drum sequencing is kind of blah. His fretless playing is unreal though. Also, there was a really cool video on the web somewhere of Le Band playing and he was killing it on this tune where he was playing fast 16th note bubbling burpy fingerstyle. I wish I could find that again. It was definitely hot.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    You hit the nail on the head there! His slap tone sounds so synthetic and indeed, almost sampled. I'm a slap-nut, so I'm always scrutinising slap tones!

16. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    yeah, I can't figure out why, if he's such a big fan of Fbasses, does he make his slap tone sound so incredibly not- F'ish.......

not knocking the guy at all, I have huge respect for Alain, its just that I'm baffled by that. And I would also be curious to know how he achieves that.

I love the slap tone of my F!!!!:hyper:

17. I own a BNF-5 and truely love the tone. The low B is amazing. I believe George's strings are best for his bass. The tapered core really makes a difference.

18. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I could never get into his labellas, try as I might. D'addario XL's and Fodera nickels have worked best for me. I do like the tapered B, but can't get used to the way exposed cores play. They sound great though!

19. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I guess it depends on your definition of "older"! The top one is from 1993 and the lower was made in 1990.

20. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    BN4's make me really want a BN4!

Same with BNF's, 4, 5 whichever.