1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

F Clamps?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rayle_Trail, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Rayle_Trail

Rayle_Trail

Jun 14, 2004
    Brisbane
    What quality and price F clamps do you guys generally use? Every time i go into my local hardware store I get stumped into thinking, "is there gonna be a huge difference, between the cruddy 5 buck one (AUD) and the ones that are 30 and made in germany?" Aside from price how much difference does it make in luthiery? I was hoping cheap ones would be ok because Ill need a butt load of em to do the lam work.
    Its a n00b question i know :ninja: but theres only so many different ways i can word "clamps" in the search function, and i still got nothin!
    Cheers to all Rayle XoX

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I go for the cheapest ones that still feel solid.
    Think about it this way, you can break 4 of the $5 ones and still have spent less than the guy who bought 1 $30 clamp.

One of the few tools I'll always go cheap on.

(not a luthier (yet), but I've done lots of woodworking in my day. )

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I use Wetzler clamps, which are on the expensive side. Anything else feels cheap next to them now. I have 2 Bessey clamps and a couple of Jorgessen, as well as some generic C clamps. The Wetzlers never flex and I always know I am getting max clamping pressure when I use them. I know I'll never have to replace them.

I have know people who have only used the Jorgs or Besseys without incident.

4. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Having in mind that I'll buy the clamps I need this weekend (thought about 10 clamps for the neck and two of the big ones for the body), is there anything that I have look for when choosing from one clamp to another? I think I won't have much to choose from in the local Ace Home Center.

5. prsbass

prsbass

Oct 13, 2006
    Seattle
    I like these Bessy clamps.
    [​IMG]

6. Those are what I use and they are great.

lowsound

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I use simple, noname cheapos. They are as good as some high-price I've used before.
    The thing is that they must not slip. Most don't, and you can actually tell very soon which are: tighten them to themselves, wait a minute or two and see how much more you can turn the handle. Less than 5 degrees (e.g. if you can barely feel a move) and you're home free. Most will turn less, and if they move that little, the problem lies in the plastic jaw covers.

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Most of my Jorgenson and bessey clamps are over 20 years old and I have rarely had a problem. I also have a bunch of Pflune C clamps that I brought back from Europe in the late 80's. Great clamps also, but no longer in bussiness.

The cheap clamps should be fine for your project just don't expect long life ot of them

9. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    get the good ones! bessey and jorgenson

I break the cheapies all the friggin time!