Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F.E.A.R. (PC game) comes bundled with spyware

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

F.E.A.R. is a first-person shooter that received good reviews from IGN.com and PC Gamer, so a couple days ago I decided to pick it up. Every time I launched the game, I got a message from my ZoneAlarm firewall that it was exhibiting suspicious behavior...... tracking keyboard strokes, mouse clicks. I'd never seen that when playing other games, but figured that it wasn't a big deal, since all I was doing while playing the game was playing the game.

So tonight, ZoneAlarm's spyware checker reported that I'd been infected with Gamespy Arcade. I clicked on More Info, and there was a page about how Gamespy Arcade is spyware.

Note: when I installed F.E.A.R, I was asked whether or not I wanted to install Gamespy Arcade, and I specifically selected NO. So, I'm getting annoyed. I had ZoneAlarm quarantine the file. I googled Gamespy Arcade and found a number of articles explaining why it's spyware.

I launched the game again... got that same message about suspicious activity. I told ZoneAlarm to block F.E.A.R. from whatever it was trying to do. I was still able to play the game with no problems. But after quitting the game I ran more spyware checks. AdAware did not find anything, but ZoneAlarm reported that Gamespy Arcade was back.

So, every time I launch F.E.A.R. it loads me up with spyware. Effing wonderful. I think all game review outlets should report on games that come bundled with spyware... but they're probably too far in bed with the industry and advertisers who pull this crap.

I guess I'll take a moment to complain to Sierra and/or Vivendi Universal and mention that I'm not inclined to buy any more of their products... fat lot of good that'll do, but I'm also going to warn people publicly when I can. So be warned.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Wow! I was going to get that game, but if you say there's spyware, I won't get it.

What a drag.... :(

I was going to google all of this, but i'm getting tired, i'm going to bed.... I try tomorrow. :)

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Good call, I was considering buying that game.

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Well just remember, almost every game these days comes with a Gamespy Arcade bundle.

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I honestly believe there is a conspiracy out there to screw up our computers with this spyware junk.

6. Fuzzbass

True, and I'm fine with that. I'm angry because, when prompted, I specifically instructed the install process not to install Gamespy Arcade. Even so, it gets loaded every time I launch the game.

On top of that, I don't like that my firewall flags the game executable itself for dangerous tracking activity. That also happens every time I launch the game. No other game I've installed, even recent ones, cause the firewall to display a red alert.

7. I clicked no when i installed it, and definitely do not have gamespy arcade installed. FEAR is a killer game though. Scary as all get out.

8. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Dec 10, 2005
    SoCal
    Will "Spybot Search & Destroy" or" Microsoft Antispyware Beta" immunize a system from Gamespy?

9. Fuzzbass

I haven't gotten very far, but what I've seen I've enjoyed. The particle and smoke effects during combat are amazing. Enemy AI is above average, and yes, it's definitely creepy. So, I'm going to deal with the spyware and suspicious activity annoyances until I complete the game.