1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

F@#%#ing ticks!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by stratovani, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Woke up on Tuesday with a tick attached to my upper left leg. I managed to pull it out cleanly, but on Wednesday I started getting flulike symptoms. I called in sick on Thursday, and today my doc put me on antibiotics. I can thank our dog for this, normally we keep her out of the tall grass, but she must have picked it up somewhere. :mad:

Hopefully the antibiotics will take effect soon. I've been sleeping pretty poorly, getting the shakes and sweating a lot. I've also been napping like crazy!

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    was it inflated?

a tick won't excrete it's toxins on an empty stomache,... thank God! i yanked a couple off my body this past spring. luckily, they hadn't fed yet. :)

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh yeah, I sure don't miss those now that we're back in the PNW.

-Mike

4. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    I'm with you. I hate f%#@@! Things. Let me just say, two summers ago.. "sack" tick. Ughhh!

5. Oh yeah, it was inflated all right. I encased it in some cellophane tape, figuring that if I had to go to the hospital then maybe they could run some tests on it. Think I'll just keep it as a bad souvenir now.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I love ticks. I regularly take a stroll in the long grass or woods with my wife. Afterwards I search her for ticks. Works every time.

7. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    You moved back?

8. They're gold medal winners in the Pointless Life Forms category. Born to suck blood and die. What an achievement. Even mosquitoes are at least good bat food.

I pulled one out from under my arm earlier this year and by the time I found it, there was a red rash emanating from the site that itched badly. Thankfully it cleared up within a few days.

Hope the flu-ish stuff goes away. That doesn't sound too good.

9. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    About 8-9 years ago my apartment was infested very badly. Drove me mad.

10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Agreed with the sentiment of the OP's title. yuck...can't stand those things.

Wow, you've moved back! I don't blame you...I love the PNW.

11. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I loathe all parasites. Including the human ones.

12. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    let's hope it didn't carry Lyme! that crap can take a long time to pass.

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    You should get it tested by your clinic. They can find out more specifically what you've come down with, or reassure you if it's not super serious.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We did. Got back to the PNW September 28th. So glad to be back.

-Mike

15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Next time cover it with a big gob of Vaseline and give it about 10 minutes. Once one has embedded it's almost impossible to get them all out by pulling, but suffocating it will cause them to back out on their own, insuring everything they stuck in you gets pulled back out. If the area around the bite is turning red and swelling you most likely have some mouth parts still up under your skin. A wider rash around the bite usually means they've been attached long enough to puke up their anti coagulant (blood) sucking aid.

As for your flu like symptoms, I'd not worry about it being from the tick. If I recall, Lyme usually incubates for a while before it starts to multiply in earnest. It usually won't show any symptoms for the first 90 days and can take up to a year or more before it hits so it's more likely something else started up right after you pulled a tick.

16. Yeah, I think you're right. I didn't have any trouble pulling it off, and the area looks pretty clean a few days out. I've seen pictures of deer ticks online, and I'm pretty sure this is no deer tick. Just your regular, garden-variety bloodsucker! :spit:

17. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    get rid of the dog

18. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Iv'e had fleas, cockroaches (different apartment though when i moved in this one i saw like 3 or 4 but i killed them and then never saw any again, thank god) and bedbugs and even a few rats (the first year, until i covered a hole in the closet) and now I have a pretty bad moth infestation but i've never had ticks yet.

You think it could be worse than moths but theres no real way to kill these ****s unless you call the exterminator and when your gf has like 3 closetfull of clothes half of which moths are interested in, trust me, it sucks (some were ruined and other wise you still gotta wash all of it but even thats not enough, then you have to put them in bags or containers). Plus on top of it i have food moths, a diffferent kind of moths, and they ruined a whole bag of flour and there's other other stuff i had to sift through in the cupboard to get rid of the larvas...it happened almost overnight. Well i left for two weeks and when i came back they were everywhere. Never knew moths could be such a hassle. Always kill any on sight, even if they look innocent....... Oh yeah and possibly worst of all, i found im im HIGHLY allergic to moths...when i emptied the closet i swear I thought my body was gonna shut down...

19. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I pulled one off of my shoulder last weekend...ick.
    but +1 to what fhm555 posted, it's highly unlikely that it's lyme. I've had it, so has pretty much my entire family...

20. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

wait , are you talking about a tick , or a politician ??
    :ninja:

just kiddin' ...:D ticks suck !
    hope you recover soon and
    best of luck getting over the flu symptoms .