Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F#? Is this for real?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BFunk, May 19, 2002.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Lately I been blown away by the extremes that people go to one this list when it comes to equipment. This one has got to take the cake. There are basses coming out now with a string tuned a fourth below low B. F# to be exact. What the h*ll for? This is below the lowest note on a piano. What do you call it? F#(-1)? What kind of system would you need to even approach being able to reproduce it? I think an array of 18" subs would do. What frequency is the fundamental? Let's see A0 is 27Hz. F#(-1) must be about 17Hz? This would be useful for talking to elephants. I can barely find places to use low B in a musically meaningful way, what the heck would I do with F#?

I am not asking people to convince me that this is a really useful tool for creating music. I doubt anyone could. Maybe this is just another attempt to outgun the other guy. I just gotta ask myself, where does this insanity end?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ask Jauqo, he used C# below F# on his Surine Sub-Contra bass. A .168 string if I remember.

3. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    it's actually F#(0) at 23.12 Hz

I guess the 7-string bassists would have to answer how they use it

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Wow, there is only 4Hz difference between an F#0 and an A0, (3 half steps)? Can you really hear the note differences?

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    If you get the chance check out my sight at
    jauqoiii-xreality.com. and read the Low C# Theory.
    my gauge's are E.98,Low B.115,Low F#.165,and LowC#(below 15hz's).194.and check out by bro John Turner's sight at lordonly.net and yes the Low C# is nice and clear.
    p.s.
    thanks Brendan.
    JAUQO III-X

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    .194? :eek:

I'd like to try that...

7. maybe live, but what about on record?

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    On record its no problem.all I have to do is mike it and mess around with the EQ and preamps etc.and Brendan it wouldn't work on your Bass because of the pickups and electronics.Im working with Dean Markley on another version of my LOW F# and LOW C#

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I remember reading years ago that Jonas Hellborg had a 10 string (non-paired) prototype that he picked up at a NAMM show that when tuned started with E one octave below standard (i.e. E, A, D, G, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db).:eek:

I have a HipShot on my B string that I use to drop it to low A for funk breakdowns in songs in the key of A (ex: BrickHouse) but I cant see much use for going lower than that (everytime I use the hipshot people are already heading to the restroom :p ).

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    One of the biggest problems when bassist attempt to go lower than what is concieved as standard,is their sound is not only muddy but to muddy, their has to be a proper balance of bass,mids,and highs just as if you are using the standard range of the electric bass.the time it takes to get a proper balance will give you proper low's.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the instrumental mp3 in my sig was recorded with a low F# equipped bass. yeah, it's for real. pipe organ went below piano, and before there was a piano, and that's for real too.

free your mind.

12. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I for one am looking forward to hearing Jauqo's sub-contra bass recorded on a CD or some MP3's. Also looking forward to hearing Lord Only live.
    (not so subtle hint) :p

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee, me too! :D

14. You better believe it, buddy. 2nd fret on the E string. :D

15. I've been meaning to ask you about your sub-contra- do you have any recordings of it? I'm curious to hear the applications of this instrument.

Also, your mention of "a proper balance of bass, mids, and highs" brings up the question in my mind- what are you using to EQ your sub-contra? I would think standard gear wouldn't be as effective, since it's not designed for such low frequencies, but then again, I still don't know a lot about amplification and EQ.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I have no recordings yet,but I am working on some.as far as my EQ application go.I use just about any pro EQ I want.other key factors other than the woods,scale lenth,pickups,strings,and electronics is the amount of headroom from an amp.at least 500watts to begin with,to get a proper bass reproduction from a range so low.and a aural exciter big bottom by Aphex,it assist in bringing the lows a little more out front,its used mainly in studio's but I use it live as well.in my quest for proper lows I cannot abandon the mids or highs,for without them A clear low cannot exsist.

p.s.
    If the lows of certain piano's(Borsindorf)can be captured live and on recording, why not that of a bass with a low F# and low C#.

17. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Pipe organ. Never thought of that. Still, what do you play your F# through? Wouldn't the fundamental be almost non-existant? (Never mind hearing it, but even feeling it.)

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    jt uses a Yamaha pro sound sub, last I heard.

If a synth can go that low, why not a bass?

19. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Wouldn't an octave box suffice for the occasional low gut sounds one might want?

I bought a bass epically to set it up with the low F# but could not find strings of adequate diameter to do it justice. I finally gave up on the idea.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Octave Pedals barely work with anything lower than
    the standerd E before it starts to get muddy.