1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

F# on a 6 what gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bigbassman8342, Apr 22, 2009.

1. bigbassman8342

bigbassman8342

Apr 4, 2009
    apologize if there is already a thread about this but i couldn't find it and can't find anything to help me from google so here it goes.

I currently have 2 4's and a 5 string all standard tuning (although i'm thinking of switching one 4 to BEAD).

So i've never restrung any of them which i should probably do to. but i'm looking at getting a 6 string cause i like the idea of a bigger range.

but IMHO the point of playing bass is bringing the thump, being the booty....the list goes on and on but to be the low end of the band so the idea of a string higher than G.... well i just don't like it.(to each his own if you want higher strings thats your desicions not trying to start anything)

So What gauge strings do i need to string it F# B E A D G??

as a matter of fact is there a chart where i can see what a good gauge for each string is or something???

cause like i've said i have never re strung any of them and should probably start doing that as one of them is like 8 years old and has orginal strigs and probably wouldn't sound like horse mess if i did.

2. you have some nut work to do
    and I'm guessing bridge work
    Low F# strings I've seen start about .145 to about .175 and I'm pretty sure there are more gauges out there

3. i don't think it would be worth it to get a lower string, to be honest. i used to have a six string, and the low b, even though i would use medium-heavy strings, and the bass was 35" scale, was pretty loose anyway. the only way to get a string thick enough for an f# i think would be absurdly thick and absurdly loose, either way. plus, it may not even fit through your bridge, and you'd inherently need to get a new nut filed for the size of the lowest string. you're probably better off just using the thickest string you can possibly find, and tuning it as low as it will go and still be playable.

4. +1 I thought of a low F# myself but in the end i had to think my lil avatar 2x12 just cant take it to be audible unless your using a 1x18 or El whappo grande(1x21) it probably wont sound good at all

5. bigbassman8342

bigbassman8342

Apr 4, 2009
    well i actually happen to play through JBL JRX100 18" powered sub and jump to a ten inch with the horn on for the highs it's kinda wierd but can definatly handle the bottem or if it can't then i might look at getting on of those 21 inch ones but i think it can handle the bottem end of it just not sure how to get a string that low.

6. I don't get why so many people on this board always respond to someone's adventures off the beaten path with negativity. There's always the "I don't think you should do this"

Who cares? He's not asking for your opinion on weather or not you think it's a good idea.

WAKE UP! You have different needs/wants/desires than other people on this board. The man has made up his mind. Why try and change it? People tend to learn best through their own experiences, not the written words of others on the internet.

The only way the OP is going to know if this direction is for him is if he goes out and tries it for himself.

OP-Don't listen to the naysayers just because they're there. Do what you think is best.

7. Im not saying not to, I'm saying he should depending on the situation, he would need a thicker gauge depending on the scale or else it would sound floppy he might be fine with a .175 whatever he decides is ultimately out of our hands. I love F# but I've only tried them on stew mckinseys bass, Paul Delano's Bee and a 10 string bee however never on a 6. I know warwick makes a 4 string with a low F# so who knows it could be killer

8. It depends a lot on you. A .130 is about the limit of playability, IMO. Tune that thing down to E for a couple of months and get used to that, then when you bring it back up to F# it will seem pretty tight. :p

.165 or higher is what most people would probably like, although it's possible that it would seem floppy if you don't lower the tension on your other strings a tad from standard.

FWIW, I'm right with you about bringing the thump. :hyper:

9. bigbassman8342

bigbassman8342

Apr 4, 2009
    so what is the normal gauge for the B E A D and G strings??

10. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Mine go 40,60,80,100,130

11. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i'd go lower than a 130... i rock a hipshot on my low B to get drop A, and it has that loose, drop tune sound. i think that a minor 4th below that would be inaudible. if i were you, i'd be starting at 140, looking more for a 165 or so.

ask Jaquo III-X, i'm sure he'd be able to drop some knowledge on the subject.

good luck!

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    To the op,

what type of 6 string do you plan on getting?

The reason I ask is because the quality of the neck, the pickup(s) and pre also play a very very important part in helping with the sound of the strings overall output when going as low as a F# string.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've been playing with a low f# on at least one of my basses now for 13 years or so. at first i used a 150, but that was insufficient for me, so for the past decade or so i've been using a 165, and it's worked out great.

many 165s are available with tapers, so you won't need to mess with the bridge, but you'll definitely need to widen the nut or the lowest notes will never be in tune.

14. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Depending on the scale length of your 6 you should go no thinner than Jauqo's SIT .165. There is also the Warwick .175 but you'll have to augment that set as I believe they are available as only a 4 or 5 string set. Catch as catch can beyond that - La Bella has made both .175s and .185s, and both will work depending on your tension preference.

There is no chart as there are too-few strings made for this purpose, and each string will be unique as tension and feel go based on materials choices used to make the string.

When you're ready to do this on one of your existing basses or on the 6 you want to come by, invest in a new nut. You won't be able to adequately tweak an existing one, and you can put the old one back in should you decide to go back to traditional gauges.