1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD F/S - Callowhill J(unk) 5-string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by funkyjudge, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    UPDATE (3/4/13) -- Bass is SOLD - closing thread

I am selling this superb 5-string active (or, more accurately, active-passive) Jazz-style bass that I acquired last year from our own "bassthumpa". Here is a link to his listing, which includes several pictures ....

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/callowhill-j-unk-5-a-924107/

As mentioned in the linked listing, this bass weighs only 7.8 lbs. (but it has the tone of a heavyweight). It has a 34" scale, Nordstrand Big Singles pickups and preamp, active/passive switching with VTC in passive mode, 1.75" nut width, 19mm string spacing, gorgeous birdseye maple fingerboard with MOP blocks and off-white binding. Along with the gorgeous transparent blueburst finish on its swamp ash body, this is a killer combination! Comes with the Callowhill/TKL soft case that provides excellent protection.

I have thoroughly cleaned the bass, kept it in a smoke-free home (and, unlike most of my other basses, this one has not gone out on any smoky bar gigs or into other nasty environments).

Shortly after purchasing this bass, I took it to Callowhill Guitars and had Tim Cloonan, the Luthier/Owner of Callowhill who built the bass, do a thorough setup on it. I also changed the strings (it is currently wearing a semi-fresh set of Fodera Nickels).

Here's a direct link to bassthumpa's photo gallery for this bass ....

https://plus.google.com/photos/10820...23825906103377

I will be taking some new photos of my own within the next 24 - 30 hours, as soon as my wife returns home from a trip where she is using our digital camera.

Asking $1,995 shipped and PayPal'd, which is $105 less than I paid for the bass.

Why am I selling?, you might ask -- My wife bought me a new 5-string custom bass for my birthday, which is in a few weeks, and I just got word that it will be here next week. I really cannot justify having the extra 5-string bass, since I play 4-string about 75% of the time.

2. detoxxx

detoxxx

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Devon Guitars, Empire Ears, Reunion Blues, Pig Hog Cables
    I really like these basses! Good luck with the sale!

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Wow Doug, I remember when Michael first got this bass, I drooled over it then, still do!

GLWTS, wish there was something that i had or could move to take that off of your hands.

Tim is the best of the best out there these days!

4. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Thanks for the comments, guys .... Tim is indeed one of the best in the business!!!

5. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Doug, what are the necks like on these? C-shape (like P-bass) or more shallow D like many of the newer jazz basses such as Nordstrand?

6. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA

I would describe the neck profile as much more " Nordstrand-like", which would make it much more a "D" shape than a deeper "C" shape like the neck on my P-Bass. This neck is actually very similar in shape to the neck that was on my Mike Lull M5V 5-string

I hope this makes things clear ... Please let me know if you have any other questions.

7. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    This was always one of my favorites.

8. eddiebo

eddiebo Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Montclair, NJ
    PM for ya and a note to myself to stop looking at the FS postings

9. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    pm'd

10. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    MANY trade/partial trade offers (and one cash offer) have been received already, and I have responded to each and every one of them. If you haven't gotten a response from me, that means that I did't get your message.

Thanks ... currently considering two of the most-desirable offers.

Doug

11. GKevinK

GKevinK

May 23, 2008
    Glen Burnie, MD
    pm'd

12. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Bass is on-hold, with a sale pending.

Thread Status: