1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD F/S Fender Parts P/J bass - $425!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by JoshB, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE

I just got this bass from PortraitOfJames, but with my impending move, and my fbass kicking the ass of everything else I own at the moment, this is up for sale.

This is a quirky bass with some fun things about it.

I was told that the body is from a late 80's to early 90's Jazz Special that has been refinished. There were also some switches added to control on/off for the pickups, and wired into a master volume/tone/tone plate. The P pickup looks to be a DiMarzio, and I'm not sure what the bridge pickup is, but it is a single coil.

The neck is a Mighty Mite P that has had some work done to it. The neck was finished with a light gloss before I got it, with a 70's black and gold P decal, as well as a custom shop decal on the headstock. The fret ends were filed down and the neck plays like butter. It is currently wearing a fairly new set of DR Lo-Riders with plenty of life left in them.

Some things to note. The bass originally had a side input jack that was doweled before the refin. There is also some scratches, dents, etc in the finish, but nothing through the finish, or that would affect playability. There is also some issues with the finish where the bridge cover was pressed into it. I have tried to highlight it in the pictures to make it as clear as I can. The routs for the switches were done crudely, but they're under the pickguard, so it shouldn't bother anyone.

With the finish, and the already broken in nature of the bass, it's a FANTASTIC stage bass! Someone is going to be a very happy camper!!

Asking $425 including a vintage Fender Tolex hardshell. It appears to be from the 70's or 80's. If ebay's correct, that's worth a bit on its own!!

Please feel free to ask any questions you have. I start my work week tomorrow, so please be patient if I take a bit to get back to you.

DSCF2539.gif

DSCF2544.gif

DSCF2540.gif

DSCF2541.gif

DSCF2543.gif

DSCF2547.gif

2. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    active electronics?

3. JoshB

nope all passive...

4. If I had the cash I'd be picking up this quarky instrument in a heartbeat. Bump for and "out of the ordinary" bass!

-Joe P.

5. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    lol this is interesting

6. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Really cool bass. :)

7. JoshB

price drop to $475

I will trade for a Little Mark II plus a bit of cash on my end...

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I like the cosmic galaxy paint!

did you paint it or somefin?

9. JoshB

last price drop...$425!

10. JoshB

bump...I move to CA in two weeks, and might or might not be able to take this with. I would prefer to sell this ASAP. Send me some offers! Trades are encouraged at the moment...just have to ship them to my new address in CA.

11. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    This is killing me. Seriously awesome bass. I'm tempted. Maybe if I sell some stuff? :help: :)

12. JoshB

So offer some trade bait or something Tim!

13. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
  14. JoshB

Thanks for the offer there Mark...but I'm not even sure what the heck I would use that for!

I'll be up in the Bay Area...Pleasanton/Dublin area. Give me a call if you come up for work or whatever, crashing on a bed at a house is better than a hotel any day and my wife can cook up a storm!

15. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Right on...I'll keep that invite in my pocket!

As for the Roland...it's an extension speaker which can be used with any other rig. The cool thing is that since it's powered you get an additional 300 watts of power.

16. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Heh I don't think I have anything you want in terms of trade bait.
    I'm in the process of trying to sell three basses, all under in the $300 range. Sounds like you want high end cabs/combos.

However I am curious to learn more about the history of this Frankenbass you have. The pickup sures look like DiMarzios but is there any way you can find out for sure? Also, I'd be curious as to the date/country of origin of the original bass (I guess that would be whatever the body came from, right? since the neck is Mighty Mite.)

Regardless, it is a sweet bass and I bet it sounds great. I'm just always curious to know the history of the components behind a Franken-monster :)

17. JoshB

Tim...cheapos plus cash is always good too! Too bad that SX you had a couple of months ago isn't around! I'm not looking for high end...mainly a LMII or something like that.

Anyway...the original bass was apparently a Jazz Special from the late 80's/early 90's. The previous owner's uncle refin'd the bass awhile back, and added the on/off switches and the bridge cover.

The neck is the same All Parts that I had on my P for a long time. The neck that came on the P/J had some issues, so the previous owner and I worked it out, and I kept this neck.

I took the electronics apart and here's what I found...

DSCF2578.gif

DSCF2571.gif

Looks like an older DiMarzio Model P to me...PAF stickers on each coil.

DSCF2576.gif

I looked this up, it's a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder.

The bass is also routed for P and J in the neck position, so you can configure this as you'd like.

I also opened up the control plate, and forgot to mention in the original post that it is set up for Vol/Tone/Tone. There are orange drop caps installed...

I think that's all the new info I have.

18. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thanks for opening her up and checking on that stuff, man.
    You said the neck is Mighty Mite, or Allparts (are they the same thing?)

Here are the items I am attempting to unload at this point:

1990 Oscar Schmidt OEB-3 Precision style bass w/ TLK case- $225 shipped

2007 JB Player JBEAB-3600 acoustic/electric bass guitar w/ chipboard case - $250 shipped

I also have the following that will be for sale in the near future:

2004 B.C. Rich Mockingbird bass (no case) (Korean made, silver/gray color, nicely grained rosewood board, great sound out of twin P pickups... tons of tonal variety) - ~$225 shipped

Preamp from a 2003 USA Fender Deluxe Jazz (I replaced it with an Audere but it's still a great preamp). Not sure on price..?

Set of Samarium Cobalt Noiseless jazz pickups from the same jazz bass (I replaced with old school creme-colored Dimarzio model Js..you see why your bass caught my eye? :)) Not sure on price but I've seen 'em go around $80-$100?

Other random stuff:

Allparts white pickup covers for Precision bass..two packages. One I opened and one I did not. I ended up not needing them. $5 shipped or so for one set?

I also have a Fostex multi-track digital recorder w/ built in CD burner that I'm not sure if I want to sell yet. It was from Musician's Friend and $500 new.

Tim...cheapos plus cash is always good too! Too bad that SX you had a couple of months ago isn't around! I'm not looking for high end...mainly a LMII or something like that.

Anyway...the original bass was apparently a Jazz Special from the late 80's/early 90's. The previous owner's uncle refin'd the bass awhile back, and added the on/off switches and the bridge cover.

The neck is the same All Parts that I had on my P for a long time. The neck that came on the P/J had some issues, so the previous owner and I worked it out, and I kept this neck.

I took the electronics apart and here's what I found...
    (rest snipped)

19. dangerkirk

dangerkirk

Mar 31, 2008
    Owensboro, Ky
    is this still up for sale?

this is like my dream bass for real.

20. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Cool bass.
    And great carpet -- it looks like rice.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.