1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD F/S: Hiwatt DR201

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by hennessybass, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    DSC00460.jpg

For Sale: 1977 Hiwatt DR201. 200 watt all tube amp w/ 6 El34 tubes in the power section.

Price: $2550 cash or money order.

Location/ shipping: Looking for a local sale near Austin, TX. I am willing to drive up to 150-ish miles to meet up. Shipping is not preferred, and would be CONUS only. Shipping price is $200.

[DEL]Trades: Looking for cash but will consider trade + cash for a Thunderfunk 550/750 amp.[/DEL] Just got a TFunk, so that trade is off.

Item description: See description and pics below for details...

Amp has normal and bright channels w/two inputs for each channel. Channels can be jumpered or used together with a Y cable. Normal Vol, Brilliant Vol, Bass, Trebel, Middle, Presence, Master Vol, Stand By, and Power.
    DSC00458.jpg

Two pics of the back of the amp.
    _DSC3069_zpsbe4bdc7c.jpg
    _DSC3074_zps0e94c6e2.jpg

From left to right...
    Voltage selector, Fuses, and Power. I assume that power plug is not original.
    _DSC3071_zpsa30d7a45.jpg

Tag and Line Out mod. The line out mod has a 1/4" to the left of the tag, and a volume pot to the right. I believe this mod was done so the amp could be used with a Slave. There was a Hiwatt STA200 Slave Amp (DR201 w/out the front end) for sale along side this amp when I bought it. Because of this I would assume that the output is after the entire preamp section, but before the power section.
    _DSC3070_zps7825ac90.jpg

Outputs - 4 / 8 / 16 ohm selector and 4 -1/4" outputs. For info on the output jacks, please check out this FAQ - http://hiwatt.org/FAQ.html - It's the last question in the FAQ, and you should be looking at the part about the later (6xEL34) 201s.
    _DSC3072_zps58ffca45.jpg

Here is a close up of the inside of the removable tube cage. You can see the quality craftsmanship, and will notice no peeling tolex.
    _DSC3080_zpsa9fac817.jpg

The wooden supports that hold the tube cage along the top is not quite right. To my eyes, the entire head case is original, and this is not the result of any mods or abuse to the amp, just the way the amp was built. The tube cage is held on by 6 screws. Two on the bottom, and 4 along the top. The four screws along the top are not quite lined up with the wood, causing the screws not to bite into the wood. The result is that he tube cage is secured by the bottom screws and loose at the top. The tube cage does not flop around, and this has caused no problems for me in terms of damage, or any parts falling off.
    Here is a close up of one of the screw holes where the top of the tube cage would be. You can see the screws were not quite lined up with the wood.
    _DSC3077_zps5cb321ee.jpg

Here is a shot with two of them, and you can see that they are like this across all four screws.
    _DSC3079_zps4ad88f69.jpg

Here are some shots from the bottom of the amp. The bottom of the amp is the only part of the head case with any damage or marks. Damage is only cosmetic, and these two pics are the worst of it (pretty much all of it)
    Here is one small rip in the tolex that is about in the center of the headcase.
    _DSC3067_zps7ef6ef76.jpg

Here is another area with some damage on the left back of the amp. The chassis attaches to the head case with 4 screws on the bottom of the headcase. Feet are not original.
    _DSC3068_zpsb9a6f0ee.jpg

Top of the amp.
    _DSC3081_zps5d2c174b.jpg